Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Refrigerator dies - try to fix or get a new one?

dgk wrote:

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

Sounds likely.

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

If it is like any compressor I've ever seen in a refrigerator- you'd
need to drain the freon- capturing it without contaminating the lines
or the atmosphere; cut some tubing, solder it back up and recharge the
lines. Special skills- special tools.

I wouldn't tackle it.

Jim