Posted to alt.home.repair
Anthony Diodati Anthony Diodati is offline

Default really old phone lines

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"wendylee815" wrote in
message ...

-------------------------------------

we just bought this house and want to put a phone in the
kitchen..unfortunatly, the wires are bare....now we bought the jack and
went to install it, and found that there are only three wires coming out
of the hole, red, green and yellow..no black,,,
how can we install this new jack to an old line that has only the three
colored wires?

Phones normally use just two wires. Hook up the red and green wires and
forget the yellow.

Most of the time the phone wires will only have areound 12 volts on them.
While the phone rings there is around 90 volts on the line. This voltage
probably will not kill you but it sure can be painful.

So you might want to unplug the line at the box outside before working on
the lines.
Tony