Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Attic Fan

I agree, the (newer) garage has a light tan/off-white seamed steel
roof, the attic fan in the garage was nonfunctional up until about a
month ago (I finally got around to replacing the thermoswitch.) Even
so it was always much cooler than the house which has a dark brown
aluminum fake-shingle roof. I wish they'd used the stuff that they
used on the garage on the house as well. I don't know how much
difference the color makes and how much is due to the garage being
shorter/more shaded, but it is significant.

nate

On Aug 23, 1:37 pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
Perhaps in this case a fan could be beneficial. But so could a white roof.
But you don't see many light colored roof anymore. Some people just create
their own problems.

"N8N" wrote in message

On Aug 23, 8:48 am, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
the point i was trying to make was that we don't really need FANS to
ventilate an attic. A few simple roof vents and eave vents does just
fine.

If you don't have that option, fans can help. case in point, my house
- the roof ends right at the side of the house, no overhang -
therefore no vents there. PO's put on a new metal roof, so I am not
inclined to try to retrofit a ridge vent. The only vents are the two
in the end walls of the house. A fan in this application makes sense
to me, unless I were to have someone come in and reframe the attic to
put a modern-style roof on it, which sounds a lot more expensive.

nate