Posted to uk.d-i-y
h.tees h.tees is offline

Default Removing old storage heater - instructions needed!

wrote in message
news
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:46:07 -0700 (PDT), Moo
wrote:

I am intending to remove an old storage heater from my flat. I do not
know the brand, but it is around 20 years old. I have other storage
heaters in my flat, of a slightly different style, which are all
Dimplex heaters. Below is a link to a picture of the heater.

Does anyone know what type of heater this is and the best way to
uninstall it?

Thanks.

http://www1.snapfish.co.uk/thumbnail...60/t_=25792860

Any ones I have seen are connected to a fused unit on the same wall
nearby . Switch the electricity off....disconnect the cable at the
aforementioned connector ...unles it has been connected by a plug in
which case no need to turn the elecy off..just unplug it ..Turn elec
back on . You then need to remove the heater from the wall....Not sure
how they are held on the wall ..probably they just hang on brackets
bolted to the wall in which case it needs to be lifted off them,or
maybe it also sits on the floor as well as being affixed to the wall
but these beasts are very heavy because they have bricks in them so
best to remove the cover and remove the bricks then take the heater
off the wall ...I did read a suggestion that they had asbestos in them
but dunno about that .

Exactly WHERE did you read that this type of storage heater contained
abestos? Or did you just make that up? Thought so!
There are usually two brackets underneath acting as stands. Two brackets
hold the heater on the wall. If the person can't use a spanner or
screwdriver,
or do anything for himself then there is just no hope.