Posted to alt.home.repair
Anthony Lisanti Anthony Lisanti is offline

Default Attic Fan

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:07:03 -0500, Chris Hill
wrote:
It's well over 100 in the summer up there. We had some cheap old
fall coats up there and they actually melted to the coat rack. Not
too good. My brother in law said I need to get one mounted in the
roof to draw out the air, as it will save on cooling. All these guys
at my local HD are real bad. Most can barely speak English. I just
want something where if it goes above xx degrees, it will kick on. I
have a pretty good size home too.

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:41:47 -0400, Anthony Lisanti
wrote:

I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install?

Or, who can I call to have this put in? I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

First question you have to ask is do you want an attic vent or a whole
house fan. If the former, it just involves cutting a hole in your
roof and some wiring unless you go with a solar model. For a whole
house fan you need to have adequate roof venting so the air can be
expelled from the attic. If you have that, installing the fan is a
matter of cutting a hole in your ceiling, mounting the fan and running
electric to it. The electric could be the trick part depending on
where your breaker box is and the like.