Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic Fan

I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install?

Or, who can I call to have this put in? I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 8:41*am, Anthony Lisanti wrote:
I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install? *

Or, who can I call to have this put in? *I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. *I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

Tony

Do not let HD handle this.
The electric part is easy. Its the installation on the roof thats
important. You might be better off calling a roofer to put it in
because although its straighfoward, it requires a certain way of
putting it in without leaks on your roof.
I put in a range hood vent myself and it was easy. Here is an
excellent video I saw that gave me confidence to do it myself.
Although this is for a bathroom vent, the principle is the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gee3itzjOG0
Or go to Broan's website and look up the installation manual for one
of their attic fans.Like I said its pretty straightfoward.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthony Lisanti" wrote in message

I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install?

Or, who can I call to have this put in? I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

Tony

Wiring aside, a handyman type of person can do the install. He may or may
not be capable of doing electric or be allowed under the regulations. Take
a look in your attic. Even an unoccupied space may have a light fixture up
there that has adequate power for the fan.

Installation may be simple for a fan in the gable vent or much more complex
for one going through the roof. You also want to be sure you have proper
soffit venting and add a ridge vent if you don't have one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:41:47 -0400, Anthony Lisanti wrote:

I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install?

Or, who can I call to have this put in? I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

If it means cutting the roof to install, I wouldn't trust a HD
contractor near such a job. Have a qualified roofer with many years
in the business install it physically, then call an electrician to
wire it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Blattus Slafaly wrote:
Anthony Lisanti wrote:

I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install?
Or, who can I call to have this put in? I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

Tony

There is nothing wrong with warm air in the attic. If you have the
normal vents and the floor insulated from below.

If you have a dark colored roof, the temps in the attic can get way
above ambient in the summer, reducing the effectiveness of the
insulation in the upper floor ceiling (remember, heat transmission is a
function of the difference in temperature.) Simply pulling outside air
through the attic *can* make a difference, esp. if the area is not well
vented to begin with. I am definitely adding one of these to my house
whenever it cools off enough to get up in the attic to work.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 11:47�am, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:
Anthony Lisanti wrote:

I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install? �

Or, who can I call to have this put in? �I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. �I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

Tony

There is nothing wrong with warm air in the attic. If you have the
normal vents and the floor insulated from below.

--
Blattus Slafaly �? 3 � � �7/8

OP probably better off with ridge vent, that doesnt run up electric
bill and is silent.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthony Lisanti" wrote in message

I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install?

Or, who can I call to have this put in? I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

Tony

Good observation, Grasshoppa. Attic fans come in various types. One just
draws the air out of the attic space, and can be mounted on an end. Pretty
simple to cut out a square, and if it is in an area covered by any
overhanging roofing, another plus. Other "attic" fans are mounted between
the trusses like a pull down stair. They do the same thing, but pull the
air out of the house.

It all depends on the layout of your framing, what you want the fan to do,
size, etc, as to what size fan and how many you want. I did a house, and
ran power to the ends of the roof. I then put in thermostatically
controlled units, and it was one of the best things I ever did.

Ymmv depending on where you live.

You're right about the HD crowd. I'd find another, and a good handyman
could do the job. It ain't rocket surgery installing one of these. You may
have to run power to it, and if you do, PLEASE put it in conduit with boxes
and do it RIGHT.

Steve

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're right about the HD crowd. *I'd find another, and a good handyman
could do the job. *It ain't rocket surgery installing one of these. *You may
have to run power to it, and if you do, PLEASE put it in conduit with boxes
and do it RIGHT.

Steve

Unless its code, why would you need conduit ? If anything that might
cause more vibration and noise while the fan is running.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Aug 17, 8:41 am, Anthony Lisanti wrote:
I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install?

Or, who can I call to have this put in? I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

Tony

Do not let HD handle this.

snip

If the jerks at the big-box stores knew anything about the trades they
wouldn't be there working for minimum wage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message
Anthony Lisanti wrote:

I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install? Or, who can I call to have
this put in? I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

Tony

There is nothing wrong with warm air in the attic. If you have the normal
vents and the floor insulated from below.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

Warm air, maybe. Hot air, no.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

PanHandler wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Aug 17, 8:41 am, Anthony Lisanti wrote:
I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install?

Or, who can I call to have this put in? I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

Tony

Do not let HD handle this.

snip

If the jerks at the big-box stores knew anything about the trades they
wouldn't be there working for minimum wage.

Hey dick head, there are a lot of retired, licensed trades people
working at the big box stores!! Their biggest problem is jerks like you
who know everything about everything...and want to prove it at every turn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
You're right about the HD crowd. I'd find another, and a good handyman
could do the job. It ain't rocket surgery installing one of these. You may
have to run power to it, and if you do, PLEASE put it in conduit with boxes
and do it RIGHT.

Steve

Unless its code, why would you need conduit ? If anything that might
cause more vibration and noise while the fan is running.

I agree, I think greenfield would be more appropriate. Up to the
thermoswitch, plain ol' Romex shouldn't be a problem, unless there's
something I'm missing?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Curmudgeon wrote:
PanHandler wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Aug 17, 8:41 am, Anthony Lisanti wrote:

I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install?

Or, who can I call to have this put in? I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

Tony

Do not let HD handle this.

snip

If the jerks at the big-box stores knew anything about the trades they
wouldn't be there working for minimum wage.

Hey dick head, there are a lot of retired, licensed trades people
working at the big box stores!! Their biggest problem is jerks like you
who know everything about everything...and want to prove it at every turn.

Not around here there's not. That may be true in some areas but around
here I've got 3 HD's all populated by worthless jagoffs.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 14:54:41 -0400, Curmudgeon wrote:
PanHandler wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Aug 17, 8:41 am, Anthony Lisanti wrote:
I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install?

Or, who can I call to have this put in? I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

Tony

Do not let HD handle this.

snip

If the jerks at the big-box stores knew anything about the trades they
wouldn't be there working for minimum wage.

Hey dick head, there are a lot of retired, licensed trades people
working at the big box stores!! Their biggest problem is jerks like you
who know everything about everything...and want to prove it at every turn.

You only prove his point when you post in such a moronic manner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

there are a lot of retired, licensed trades people
working at the big box stores!!

Well I am curious then, why they would work there instead of working
parttime in the trade they worked in and are licensed in. Couldn't
they make the same money in much less time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

there are a lot of retired, licensed trades people
working at the big box stores!!

Well I am curious then, why they would work there instead of working
parttime in the trade they worked in and are licensed in. Couldn't
they make the same money in much less time?

Skilled trades, among other things, are usually hard physical work. The
semi-retired elder gents the big-boxes hire seldom have to do heavy
lifting or get sweaty. It's also warmer in winter and cooler in summer
than out on the jobsite. Some do it just because the wife chased them
out of the house six months after they retired, some do it because their
bodies can't take the jobsite any more, some do it because the local
work dried up and they can't afford to move, or can't move due to family
considerations. And at the big box, you aren't at the mercy of the
feast-or-famine nature of construction work. And some, sadly, do it
because they are alone and want the human contact, and/or a chance to
feel they still have expertise to offer. Haven't seen many silver-hairs
at the local Menards, but the Lowes has several. One in particular in
the plumbing area has been very helpful to me several times. (A plumber
I am not.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
You're right about the HD crowd. I'd find another, and a good handyman
could do the job. It ain't rocket surgery installing one of these. You may
have to run power to it, and if you do, PLEASE put it in conduit with
boxes
and do it RIGHT.

Steve

Unless its code, why would you need conduit ? If anything that might
cause more vibration and noise while the fan is running.

That's just the way I would do it. People write in all the time about
squirrels eating wire, short circuits, loose wires, all kinds of things. I
just like to do things once and do them right.

There's a hundred ways to cook a poodle, and it all tastes like chicken.
Translation: lots of ways to do the same job.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install?

Or, who can I call to have this put in? I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

First question you have to ask is do you want an attic vent or a whole
house fan. If the former, it just involves cutting a hole in your
roof and some wiring unless you go with a solar model. For a whole
house fan you need to have adequate roof venting so the air can be
expelled from the attic. If you have that, installing the fan is a
matter of cutting a hole in your ceiling, mounting the fan and running
electric to it. The electric could be the trick part depending on
where your breaker box is and the like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:07:03 -0500, Chris Hill
wrote:
It's well over 100 in the summer up there. We had some cheap old
fall coats up there and they actually melted to the coat rack. Not
too good. My brother in law said I need to get one mounted in the
roof to draw out the air, as it will save on cooling. All these guys
at my local HD are real bad. Most can barely speak English. I just
want something where if it goes above xx degrees, it will kick on. I
have a pretty good size home too.

wrote:

I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was
wondering how difficult this is to install?

Or, who can I call to have this put in? I don't know if I trust going
to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean,
the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the
contractors be?

First question you have to ask is do you want an attic vent or a whole
house fan. If the former, it just involves cutting a hole in your
roof and some wiring unless you go with a solar model. For a whole
house fan you need to have adequate roof venting so the air can be
expelled from the attic. If you have that, installing the fan is a
matter of cutting a hole in your ceiling, mounting the fan and running
electric to it. The electric could be the trick part depending on
where your breaker box is and the like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
It's well over 100 in the summer up there. We had some cheap old
fall coats up there and they actually melted to the coat rack. Not
too good. My brother in law said I need to get one mounted in the
roof to draw out the air, as it will save on cooling. All these guys
at my local HD are real bad. Most can barely speak English. I just
want something where if it goes above xx degrees, it will kick on. I
have a pretty good size home too.

Probably need more than one. An attic is to insulate, not use for
storage. If you have stuff that you'd keep up there, maybe time to
throw it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A ridge vent does nothing. a fan is necessary

On Aug 17, 11:55*am, " wrote:
OP probably better off with ridge vent, that doesnt run up electric

bill and is silent.......- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

OH PLEASE.

this attic fan bs is just another yuppifed fad . We went hundreds of years
without them.

On Aug 17, 11:55 am, " wrote:
OP probably better off with ridge vent, that doesnt run up electric

bill and is silent.......- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

and for years houses had minimal closets, smallish bedrooms and too
few bthrooms- that means it was the right thing to do?

On Aug 17, 11:55 am, " wrote:

OP probably better off with ridge vent, that doesnt run up electric

bill and is silent.......- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

SteveB wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...

Now, be logical. If you don't have vapor barriers, no insulation, poor
fitup and joints, lots of drafts, etc, etc, etc, you have enough air
transfer not to need an attic fan.

Touche!

But, the point that new-fangled stuff ain't necessarily a yuppie fad is
real...

Posted to alt.home.repair

right? there's a right and wrong? it was certainly more efficient. These
overblown trophy houses are just rediculous.

wrote in message
and for years houses had minimal closets, smallish bedrooms and too
few bthrooms- that means it was the right thing to do?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Yeah and everyone survived.. AND with more integrity and morals to boot.

Well, not really...average longevity is significantly higher now than
turn of the century. At least some small fraction of that is
undoubtedly related to housing.

As for the other part, there's a lot of evidence both ways.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
right? there's a right and wrong? it was certainly more efficient. These
overblown trophy houses are just rediculous.

Well, that's an entirely different subject.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Having lived in new construction (2000) standard 4 BR/2.5 bath and now
in a 1935 home I say a new home is 1000X better and easier to live in
than an old one. Yes the old one has nice chestnut trim but thats it.

On Aug 22, 8:07*pm, dpb wrote:
Steve Barker DLT wrote:
right? *there's a right and wrong? *it was certainly more efficient.. * These
overblown trophy houses are just rediculous.

Well, that's an entirely different subject.

Posted to alt.home.repair

With no A/C imagine how bad they smelled!!!

On Aug 22, 7:46*pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
Yeah and everyone survived.. *AND with more integrity and morals to boot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:55:44 -0500, AZ Nomad
Probably need more than one. An attic is to insulate, not use for
storage. If you have stuff that you'd keep up there, maybe time to
throw it out.

exactly wrong.

Nothing survives well in attic heat, and putting stuff on top of the
insulation crushes it and reduces its insulating value. Besides that,
most people put way too much value on stuff they already bought, if
you don't want to live with it, just get rid of it. On the other
point, the building codes have doubled the amount of attic vent
required in the last several years, so one fan may not be enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
OH PLEASE.

this attic fan bs is just another yuppifed fad . We went hundreds of years
without them.

We went hundreds of years without air conditioning, or even electricity.
What's your point?

On Aug 17, 11:55 am, " wrote:

OP probably better off with ridge vent, that doesnt run up electric

bill and is silent.......- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:39:41 -0500, Chris Hill wrote:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:55:44 -0500, AZ Nomad
Probably need more than one. An attic is to insulate, not use for
storage. If you have stuff that you'd keep up there, maybe time to
throw it out.

exactly wrong.

Nothing survives well in attic heat, and putting stuff on top of the
insulation crushes it and reduces its insulating value. Besides that,

You're insane. Only a ****ing idiot stores junk directly on top of
insulation.
Install 4x8 plywood sheets where one is going to use
the attick for storage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:55:44 -0500, AZ Nomad
Probably need more than one. An attic is to insulate, not use for
storage. If you have stuff that you'd keep up there, maybe time to
throw it out.

exactly wrong.

Nothing survives well in attic heat, and putting stuff on top of the
insulation crushes it and reduces its insulating value. Besides that,
most people put way too much value on stuff they already bought, if
you don't want to live with it, just get rid of it. On the other
point, the building codes have doubled the amount of attic vent
required in the last several years, so one fan may not be enough.

Many things survive just fine in an attic, and some of us are smart
enough to have plywood floors in areas where we store things, so the
insulation does not get crushed. I know that is a complicated solution
to an incredibly convoluted problem for some to grasp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the point i was trying to make was that we don't really need FANS to
ventilate an attic. A few simple roof vents and eave vents does just fine.

"CJT" wrote in message

We went hundreds of years without air conditioning, or even electricity.
What's your point?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 03:15:09 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:39:41 -0500, Chris Hill wrote:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:55:44 -0500, AZ Nomad
Probably need more than one. An attic is to insulate, not use for
storage. If you have stuff that you'd keep up there, maybe time to
throw it out.

exactly wrong.

Nothing survives well in attic heat, and putting stuff on top of the
insulation crushes it and reduces its insulating value. Besides that,

You're insane. Only a ****ing idiot stores junk directly on top of
insulation.
Install 4x8 plywood sheets where one is going to use

And then those crush the insulation. A well insulated attic will have
more than six inches in it. Besides that, you still get fiberglass
dust in your stuff, a real bad idea.

Attic Fan, Whole House Fan, Pressurizing Attic? Scott Townsend Home Repair 3 August 26th 09 04:30 PM
owl in our attic [email protected] Home Repair 7 March 5th 07 06:16 AM
Hot attic AL Home Repair 11 July 17th 05 06:38 PM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Repair 7 March 31st 04 03:24 AM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Ownership 3 March 30th 04 06:21 PM