Kelby

Default Most dangerous tool in shop

My grandfather and my father-in-law each lost two fingers on jointers.

Me, I've learned a neat trick --- although the blades on those
jointers, table saws, planers, and band saws tend move quickly, they
never actually go anywhere! Which means that if you don't put your
fingers near them, they can't get you! Push sticks and feather boards
are beautiful things. They have successfully kept all my digits
intact.

But I have dropped a few tools and heavy pieces of lumber on my toes.
I have a bunch of black toenails to prove it. (They eventually grow
out, but I bang them again and get new black spots on my toenails.)
So for me, the most dangerous thing in my shop is my sandals. I could
have eliminated all of my shop injuries over the years ('cept for a
few slivers) simply by wearing my boots.