Scott Brownell

Default Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk'sbackpanel to side panels? (and other questions)

Bay Area Dave wrote:

even though my rail/stile router bits are for 3/4" material only, I'm
getting interested in doing 1" thick r/s because I like the look of that
thickness (I am sitting at my pc desk, which has 1" thick sides made up
of r/s / panels.) Since I can't run a proper profile on the R/S with my
router bits, I was thinking of just grooving them and using some other
bit for the edge treatment around the panel sides of the r/s. As a
matter of fact, on the desk I'm sitting at, they didn't run any edge
detail around the panel. That's a bit plain, though, for my taste.

Dave,

Swingman & Leon have given you some great ideas for the construction. As
for a profile on the rail & stile portions what would you think of just
doing a chamfer cut, say beginning & ending 1-1/2 to 2" from each
intersection? It would definitely break up the "plain" look.

Scott
up later, the damage remains.