Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

In article
,
Pat wrote:

There was a long story on NPR about this a while back. Yes, the main
reason is to increase sales. Most of their stores have very little
natural lighting but they are moving that way in the grocery depts to
increase sales. The natural light motivates people to buy more food,
particularly fresh produce.

This flies in the face of "my" store, built perhaps 7 years ago.

The entire store is pocked with large skylights. During the day, when
the sun goes behind a cloud, the ENTIRE store's array of fluorescent
lamps fire-up. Moments later, when the sun reappears from behind the
cloud, the whole stores-worth of fluorescents switch off. This folly
goes on EVERY day.

This is INCREDIBLY annoying when working in the photo department, trying
to color-correct images and do other visual work. I suspect the effect
is as distracting while trying to color-match paint or select fabric for
a sewing project.

Given the CO$T of incorporating the skylights into initial construction,
the ongoing thermal loss during heating and cooling and the
wear-and-tear on the light fixtures themselves, Walmart isn't saving a
damned dime. It's all "feel good" green effort for show.

As for the produce department: It's the only part of the store with
always-on quartz lamps shining on the product. You tell me...
--

JR