Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

On Wed 20 Aug 2008 10:30:54a, Mark Lloyd told us...

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 04:43:46 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Mon 18 Aug 2008 09:29:11p, Marina told us...

[snip]

I can't afford to think "global ecomony" or even "local economy" when I
need to make every single penny count. Wal-Mart generally has the best
prices on almost anything I need to buy. I really can't afford to not
shop there. If I find good specials at other stores, then I go to those
stores, but inevitably I end up at Wal-Mart for a lot of my shopping.

I try to limit driving (to use less gas), and combine trips when
possible. I get groceries at whatever store I'm going to for something
else. I have different reasons for different stores, including:

Wal-Mart: lower prices, and sometimes the only place locally to get
some things. The lowest gasoline price ($3.49) in town yesterday.

Brookshire's: I get prescriptions filled there, and it's easy to get
groceries while waiting

Kroger: the only place in town to get out-of-town newspapers inside
the store. I really don't like newspaper vending machines

If I drive in a logical loop from my home and back again, it's
approximately 3 miles. Within that loop I can stop at WM, Fry's, Safeway,
Albertson's, and Basha's (Local chain), without expending any additional
fuel. This allows me to take advantage of whoever may be the best prices
on items I need.

I agree with you about the typical customers. I make it a point to shop
at times where there is a minimum number of shoppers, either extremely
early or extremely late.

I like to go to Wal-Mart between 2 and 4 AM. There's few customers,
the traffic is light, and it's not so hot outside (I was in the middle
of the south central hot spot almost 3 weeks ago, but it's in the
seventies now).

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
1wks 6dys 5hrs 54mins
Hate is not the opposite of love;
apathy is. - Rollo May
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:29:30 -0500, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article ,
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

I am having a stressful week and when you said "tax base," I was
thinking sales tax. I know that the biggest complaint when they were
trying to put a Walmart in our community was that it would cause
increased traffic in an unincorporated area without the tax base to
support the improvements that Walmart didn't want to pay for, and the
proposal was rejected.

Thanks for the reply. This part I don't know much about.

The City of Omaha quickly annexes any Walmart store originally built
outside of the city limits. This benefits Omaha's sales tax income
(handsomely) as well as the property taxes collected.

As for Walmart's "inner city" presence, Omaha is about to open its first
Walmart store on a site previously occupied by another building - a
bowling alley - and definitely INSIDE the city in a location that some
would argue qualifies as "inner city".

IIRC, it is to be the first TWO-STORY Supercenter. This I have to see.

That might be because the lot is smaller, although bowling alley's are
usually pretty big, and usually have parking lots already. Forget I
said anything. Well, every bowling alley I've ever seen has been in
the suburbs or near the suburbs. I've lived IN the city for 18
years, and I don't remember any bowling alleys. Of course things
change the farther west one goes. Never mind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:17:59 -0700, SMS
wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I can't afford to think "global ecomony" or even "local economy" when I
need to make every single penny count. Wal-Mart generally has the best
prices on almost anything I need to buy. I really can't afford to not shop
there. If I find good specials at other stores, then I go to those stores,
but inevitably I end up at Wal-Mart for a lot of my shopping.

We have no Wal-Mart very close to us, but I find when traveling,
especially on vacations involving camping, they're very useful. Unlike
Target, they have an excellent sporting goods and camping department. I
also like Fred Meyer (Kroger owns them now) for that type of stuff when
up in Oregon.

The Wal-Marts closest to us have no grocery stores,

There are several Wal-Marts around here. I no longer know of any that
DON'T sell groceries (the last one grew a couple of years ago).

so I can't comment
on them. But from what I've seen of them, they don't have a lot of what
I'd be buying anyway, Costco has much better quality stuff like meat,
fish, and produce.

What I like about Wal-Mart is that unlike stores like Safeway and Lucky,
they don't gouge on everything other than what's on sale that week. When
I "save" more than I spend at Safeway it means that everything I
purchased was less than half the regular price.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Aug 20, 11:09 am, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
I can assure you the reason for the skylights is savings on the electrical
bill. It's not just a 'side effect'. It's the main reason. Natural
lighting could hardly increase sales. And it's used equally all across the
store, not just the food section.

There was a long story on NPR about this a while back. Yes, the main
reason is to increase sales. Most of their stores have very little
natural lighting but they are moving that way in the grocery depts to
increase sales. The natural light motivates people to buy more food,
particularly fresh produce.

"Pat" wrote in message

Now they are using more natural light in store -- particularly the
grocery section. Why? It increases sales. Side effect -- cuts down
on electrical usage.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:47:01 -0700, Bob wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

It's interesting where there are, and are not, Walmart stores.
Los Angeles - 1

There are 4 WM stores within the Los Angeles city limits. Two are in
areas that have been hit with retail blight (for which WM takes great
pride).

This is something new to worry about, that WM takes great pride in
retail blight.

Admittedly, the penetration is low in comparison other
metropolitan areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:18:55 -0500, HeyBub wrote:
"[PLAINFIELD, Penn] Walt Neidlinger spent years trying to keep a
Wal-Mart-anchored shopping complex from being built...

"The traffic would have been suffocating for their little community,
neighbors argued, so when the massive retailer and its partners packed up
their plans and left ... Neidlinger was ecstatic. He figured he'd wait for
the next plan to come along and remembers thinking, 'What could be worse
than Wal-Mart?'

WalMart is simply a progression in large department stores and people
hate seeing their success.

While an effort is made to get rid of walmarts, how about getting rid of the
other department stores like sears, target, kmart, and also getting rid
of those nasty grocery supermarkets that have killed the local farmers'
markets?

Nah. Just get rid of walmart. ****ing hypocrisy. Get rid of them and
the next largest department store will replace them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"[PLAINFIELD, Penn] Walt Neidlinger spent years trying to keep a
Wal-Mart-anchored shopping complex from being built...

"The traffic would have been suffocating for their little community,
neighbors argued, so when the massive retailer and its partners
packed up their plans and left ... Neidlinger was ecstatic. He
figured he'd wait for the next plan to come along and remembers
thinking, 'What could be worse than Wal-Mart?'

WalMart is simply a progression in large department stores and people
hate seeing their success.

It's called "Walmart Derangement Syndrome".

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
So...the WM buys the worst of the local and charges
the same as the best.

Would you mind sweeping my driveway when you're done, 'cause your using an
awful large brush :-)

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

The WM here is starting to buy locally grown produce, if that is done
everywhere the diesal savings would be astronomical. I go to my
regular grocery store and it's impossible to find any produce grouwn
within 500 miles. WM is on the right track here.

???Except that the WM has the world's crapiest "local" produce. I bought
some "local" corn there last week, and it was dreadful. I bought some
"local" corn from Price Chopper (chain) 3 days later, and it was fantastic,
and the same price. Ditto for Hannaford (chain) just yesterday. So...the WM
buys the worst of the local and charges the same as the best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

poster name deleted as this is not a direct reply to their post

How the heck does Wal*Mart stay in business when so many people seem to hate
them?

Me thinks many of the protesters sneak ove rhtere in the middle of the night
and buy the cheap stuff.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:

How the heck does Wal*Mart stay in business when so many people seem to hate
them?

Me thinks many of the protesters sneak ove rhtere in the middle of the night
and buy the cheap stuff.

Well, my neighbors down the street who think Walmart is God's gift to
this country don't have internet access. They barely even have a
computer, and they might not have one any more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Mark Harmon voice

Ya think, DiNozzo?

/Mark Harmon voice

You forgot the head-slap.

*sighing, wishing NCIS would start back up again*
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

While an effort is made to get rid of walmarts, how about getting rid of the
other department stores like sears, target, kmart, and also getting rid
of those nasty grocery supermarkets that have killed the local farmers'
markets?

You do know that Sears owns Kmart, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:
On Aug 20, 8:42 am, Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,

(snip)

There are also some major benefits that people overlook. For one, WM
is a very green company. Remember back in "the day" when toothpaste
came in boxes. Now it doesn't. (snip)

?????
Never seen that. How on earth would you box it and ship it and shelf it,
without damaged tubes and leakers all over the place? I'll have to try
and remember to look in the toothpaste aisle, next time I happen to be
at wally world. (which only happens a few times a year, since the
selection and prices at the local one sucks.) The other big-boxes around
here still have it in boxes.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:26:45 -0700 (PDT), RickH
wrote:

said anything. *Well, every bowling alley I've ever seen has been in
the suburbs or near the suburbs. * I've lived IN the city for 18
years, and I don't remember any bowling alleys. *Of course things

Obviously you've never been to Chicago or Milwaukee.

I lived in Chicago for 6 years, and I thought about it, but could only
remember the two lane alley in the basement of Ida Noyes Hall.

I suppose there were bowling alleys, but I can't remember any from
1964 to 1970, and I drove a cab for a year, all over the city. Plus
I had a car for 3 years, although I never went bowling.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:47:20 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Redelfs wrote:

Walmart ran afoul of wage and hour requirements YEARS ago when it was
revealed that SOME workers had worked off the clock. It is unclear
whether the workers were pressured by management to do so.

Also hardly WM the only one trying to sneak by. I have worked at a
couple hospitals over the years where most of the nurses got a nice
"bonus" because we were expected to sign out on time yet also get our
work done.

Now I'm totally confused. Quotes around bonus like it doesn't mean
bonus but then what does it mean? You signed out on time, did some
of your work after signing out, and then got extra money? Or extra
work? You're too subtle for me.

Today, the biggest rule, by far and away, is that one does NOT work off
the clock. Management is adamant about it. There are large (bilingual)
signs at each time clock forbidding working unless clocked-in.

and a majority of responses on WM's side appeared to me
to defend WM by "blaming the victims" as opposed to
claiming that WM did not do such.

Walmart is extremely accommodating with merchandise returns and other
customer concerns. Still, there will always be the customer that is
dissatisfied regardless of any outcome.

Remember, also, there are those that, not too much unlike shoplifters,
will intentionally take advantage of Walmart's liberal customer
satisfaction policies.

My wife was mistreated by a returns Associate as was my son-in-law - the
latter over a mere package of moldy pita bread. Much depends on the
Associate with whom the customer is dealing and how much experience and
training that Associate has had.

As in it's been quite a few years since
I bought anything from them.

That's too bad. It is a great place to work and shop.

JR
WM Associate

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:04:18 -0700 (PDT), Pat
wrote:

There are plenty of other
things, but often doing what is cheapest is doesn't want is best.

I know you meant "is doing what is best". You type like I do
sometimes! An interesting window into how our minds work.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

This relates closely to one post in this thread, but i don't know
which one.

The K-mart near me was one of the ones that closed, and 2 years or so
later, Home Depot bought it, and after a few months, tore it down and
built a HD.

Then there's another plaza where the supermarket closed, and a couple
other rather big stores, and then smaller ones until all that was left
were a few doctor's offices, and in a different building take-out
Chinese, a Christian book store, and a couple other little things. I
think someone bought the first building and forced the doctors to
leave, and the story in the city or n'hood newspaper was a couple
years ago that Wal-mart is coming. No trace of it yet, and a few more
places in the second building are vacant now. Even the take-out
place isn't always open and when it is, it closes at 9. I think
walmart has bought the property, but they're not doing anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:15:52 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

SMS wrote:

We have no Wal-Mart very close to us, but I find when traveling,
especially on vacations involving camping, they're very useful.

The RVers like Walmart. Walmart doesn't go all postal if you park your RV on
their lot during the night. Some posts on RV groups mention that the store
manager knocks on their door in the mornings with free coffee and donuts!

Yeah, that was a good idea of theirs.

Back in 1971, when I slept in my car** in shopping center parking
lots, every morning the police used to wake me up around 6 or 7. In
San Antonio,, they wanted to see my license and registration. I don't
remember if they told me to leave after that, but I was wide awake by
then and there wwas not point in staying.

**A 65 pontiac catalina. I would take out the rear of the right front
seat each night, and i'm 5'8" and could actually stretch out with my
feet under the dash. I even put in a reading light on the side of the
back seat.

Eventually I learned to go to all-night gas stations, and ask the guy
running it. One of them turned me down, but for two or three nights
all the others said yes. I also parked at a truck stop, and didn't
ask anyone there. But I think the showers were free but I didn't have
nerve enough to use one, or even to ask.

Most of the RVers reciprocate by buying stuff at the store, so, in return
for an otherwise unused spot during the dark, the store gets some added
business. Plus goodwill.

And Walmart allows Salvation Army bell-ringers during the Chrismas season in
contrast to Target who has the Army's kettle thrown in the dumpster and the
bell-ringers beaten and arrested (I may be exaggerating here).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And Walmart allows Salvation Army bell-ringers during the Chrismas season in
contrast to Target who has the Army's kettle thrown in the dumpster and the
bell-ringers beaten and arrested (I may be exaggerating here).

Maybe I'm naive, but I thought the stores that kept out bellringers
didnt' want to have to distinguish between the Salvation Ary and the
Moonies or whatever the competing group is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Mark Harmon voice

Ya think, DiNozzo?

/Mark Harmon voice

You forgot the head-slap.

*sighing, wishing NCIS would start back up again*

Ditto to that. Thankfully, I'm enjoying Burn Notice in the interim.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:25:04 -0700, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to
reply wrote:

Jim Redelfs wrote:

It's true. If the arrangement was not beneficial to your area, one can
assume that the governing body(ies) would not OFFER special incentives
to get the store(s).

Pork, my dear, pork. At the local government level, but pork nonetheless.

Don't you mean 'bribes'?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:07:54 -0500, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

Pre-packaged, consumable food is not subject to
SALES tax in many areas but virtually everything else is.

Around here it's the opposite. Candy bars are taxable, and maybe
cooked rotisserie chickens are, but food that needs to be cooked
isn't. The borderline is not obvious, sort of arbitrary , but has to
be drawn somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 23:45:48 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Pat wrote:
On Aug 20, 8:42 am, Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,

(snip)

There are also some major benefits that people overlook. For one, WM
is a very green company. Remember back in "the day" when toothpaste
came in boxes. Now it doesn't. (snip)

?????
Never seen that. How on earth would you box it and ship it and shelf it,
without damaged tubes and leakers all over the place? I'll have to try
and remember to look in the toothpaste aisle, next time I happen to be
at wally world. (which only happens a few times a year, since the
selection and prices at the local one sucks.) The other big-boxes around
here still have it in boxes.

If you put toothpaste in boxes, it all leaks out at the ends, where
the openings are. It's better to use tubes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:47:20 -0400, Kurt Ullman

Also hardly WM the only one trying to sneak by. I have worked at a
couple hospitals over the years where most of the nurses got a nice
"bonus" because we were expected to sign out on time yet also get our
work done.

Now I'm totally confused. Quotes around bonus like it doesn't mean
bonus but then what does it mean? You signed out on time, did some
of your work after signing out, and then got extra money? Or extra
work? You're too subtle for me.

Too subtle for my own good. Yeah, we signed out but we stayed around
because the hospital said we couldn't leave until charting, etc., was
caught up but we couldn't stay on the clock. The "Bonus" was (up to) 3
years worth of overtime plus interest when someone got ****ed off about
something and turned them over to the Department of Labor. The DoL
disabused them of the thought that this was legal in a way only the
Government can (g).
BTW: I have since left the place, but they had started to do that at
least three other times since then until some of veterans reminded them
of what happened the last time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Mark Harmon voice

Ya think, DiNozzo?

/Mark Harmon voice

You forgot the head-slap.

*sighing, wishing NCIS would start back up again*

Ditto to that. Thankfully, I'm enjoying Burn Notice in the interim.

Yeah and liked In Plain Sight this year too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 20 Aug 2008 05:44:17p, Kurt Ullman told us...

In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

I once worked for a family-run company where I usually worked 11-12 hour
days. They had us sign blank time cards, which i learned later they were
filling out for 8 hours. I was once given a raise, but it was taken back
after two weeks "because they had hired an additional person (the owner's
sister) to help in the office". When that happened, I went home for lunch
and never went back. I immediatelyr reported them to the wage and hour
commission. After they investigated, I and all the other employees
received back pay for all the overtime we had worked for "free".

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
1wks 6dys 5hrs 54mins
Hate is not the opposite of love;
apathy is. - Rollo May
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

While an effort is made to get rid of walmarts, how about getting rid
of the
other department stores like sears, target, kmart, and also getting rid
of those nasty grocery supermarkets that have killed the local farmers'
markets?

You do know that Sears owns Kmart, right?

Uh, not exactly. The parent company of Kmart bought Sears, and then
changed their name to Sears. Sorta like Baby Bell SBC bought the
remnants of Ma Bell ATT, then renamed themselves ATT.

30 years from now, corporate genealogy students will have a hell of a
time, what with deals like this, and other historical companies selling
off product lines along with the rights to use the former company's
brand name on the product. (Makes me sad, to see the quality brand names
of my youth, *******ized into some crap Pacific Rim generic product.
When a brand name dies, they should give it a decent burial, IMHO, and
not deceive the public like that.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:42:44 -0700, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:

While an effort is made to get rid of walmarts, how about getting rid of the
other department stores like sears, target, kmart, and also getting rid
of those nasty grocery supermarkets that have killed the local farmers'
markets?

You do know that Sears owns Kmart, right?

So ****ing what? Does that make the supermarkets vanish?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:

*sighing, wishing NCIS would start back up again*

Ditto to that. Thankfully, I'm enjoying Burn Notice in the interim.

Me, too! There are apparently 9 episodes for the summer and then it's
taking a hiatus and in a few months will be back with 7 more episodes.

Do you like In Plain Sight?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And Walmart allows Salvation Army bell-ringers during the Chrismas season in
contrast to Target who has the Army's kettle thrown in the dumpster and the
bell-ringers beaten and arrested (I may be exaggerating here).

Maybe I'm naive, but I thought the stores that kept out bellringers
didnt' want to have to distinguish between the Salvation Ary and the
Moonies or whatever the competing group is.

Target regularly gives money to many charitable causes -- a certain
percent of their profits -- and charitable groups that fit within their
corporate charitable donation policies (children's groups, educational
groups, health and welfare groups, etc.) are welcome to ask for grants.
They do TONS for charitable causes -- veterans' hospitals, schools,
foster children, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
George wrote:

Today, the biggest rule, by far and away, is that one does NOT
work off the clock. Management is adamant about it. There are

large (bilingual) signs at each time clock forbidding working
unless clocked-in.

So do the signs reach out and prevent this or are they there for show?

What part of "Management is adamant about it" don't you understand?

I had clocked-out once and, while on my way out of the store,
encountered my Assistant Manager. *I* stopped and spoke with him about
my work schedule. We chatted for about five minutes. Prior to going on
my way, he asked if I was "on the clock". When I told him I had
clocked-out, he advised that I should go to personnel and have my time
CORRECTED as I would have otherwise worked off the clock. That's good
enough to convince me that they are serious about the issue.

Walmart is extremely accommodating with merchandise returns
and other customer concerns.

For good reason, it costs them almost nothing.

And it sure makes for good customer relations.

Ask any vendor how returns are handled. Someone can purchase an
item and literally destroy it and haul it back to the store.
Even though there were no defects Walmart simply dings the vendor
and makes them eat the cost.

Welcome to the (capitalist) party, pal.

No one is forcing a vendor to do business with anyone, Walmart included.

As for your contention that the customer can "literally destroy" the
product and get an easy return is simply untrue.

There are many returned products that have been simply opened and are
returned for various reasons. Given today's theft-resistant packaging,
it is nearly impossible to open a package without rendering it unsalable
should it be returned. Such returns (among others) are returned to the
vendor for repackaging. Defective merchandise is likewise returned - as
it is by ANY retailer.

A customer with a purchase older than 30 days, that has proven
defective, is directed to the manufacturer (vendor?) for warranty
adjustment. Walmart is not involved in these cases.

Merchandise that is obviously used or "virtually destroyed" is not
accepted as a return, even for in-store credit.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
George wrote:

The contemporary Supercenter dedicates about 1/3 of the store to its
grocery operation. Pre-packaged, consumable food is not subject to
SALES tax in many areas but virtually everything else is. Given they
are not a not-for-profit entity, they pay taxes on their profit. They
pay property tax.

Not in my state. When they want to build a store we obtain the site and
prepare it for them for free (corporate welfare by transferring wealth
from taxpayers) including the infrastructure such non-trivial costs as
utilities, highway interchanges etc and give them a nine year tax
exemption. They *explicitly* do not pay property taxes and they pay a
very reduced corporate franchise tax or whatever that tax is called to
the state. When the nine years is about to run out they move across the
street to restart the nine year clock. The third local walmart is about
to move across the street as I write this.

If this is a BAD THINGtm, perhaps you should express your
dissatisfaction for such accommodation at the ballot box. It is, after
all, your (presumably) elected representatives that are giving the
accommodations. Walmart, and any OTHER business, can ASK for the sun,
moon and stars. Those in the position to GIVE those things are
responsible for the "gift" - not the recipient.

Only a fool would turn down legitimate gifts.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Lou wrote:

Yes JR, they pay property tax and yes I have looked into how and
what they pay for my area. Because of the local school needs the
local property tax around here has almost doubled.

....and that's Walmart's fault, eh? sigh

Walmart has proudly expressed how they pay the same percentage
as everyone else. What they didn't admit is that when their
buildings are assessed, they send lawyers to the town, have
a hearing an have the property assessment reduced by 40%.

Unless that is a crime, I don't see a problem.

Therefore, they don't pay the same as everyone else. Wouldn't
you just love it if your property taxes were reduced by 40%.
Go ahead and challenge it JR, it's public knowledge.

I won't challenge a fact. I'd do the same if I could afford a team of
lawyers. As it is, I am free to challenge my property assessment every
time a new assessment is made. Many do it and many are successful in
having their tax reduced.

AS for generating jobs. Take the total amount of employees
in a walmart. Now add up all the employees and business owners
that lost thier job from the small busnesses that went belly up
because of walmart. How many more or less jobs are in that town.
You will be amazed.

Not at all. There is a net job GAIN due to increased business.

All the the former employees of all the defunct mom-and-pop businesses
in a given area wouldn't staff half of a supercenter.

There is no column in a ledger for sentiment. Just dollars and cents.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:

*sighing, wishing NCIS would start back up again*

Ditto to that. Thankfully, I'm enjoying Burn Notice in the interim.

Me, too! There are apparently 9 episodes for the summer and then it's
taking a hiatus and in a few months will be back with 7 more episodes.

Do you like In Plain Sight?

Yeah, although I'm still warming up to it. I have also started to enjoy
Psych which has a sorta juvenile humor to it, but it's fun.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

It's true. If the arrangement was not beneficial to your area,
one can assume that the governing body(ies) would not OFFER
special incentives to get the store(s).

Pork, my dear, pork. At the local government level, but pork nonetheless.

I believe you are employing the wrong concept. "Pork" is excessive
spending tacked onto legislative bills.

If I am correct in what you are charging, the proper terms are "graft"
and "corruption" - public officials taking bribes "under the table" from
someone to benefit the perpetrator with their legislation.

That's another, whole, different thing.

I doubt that Walmart is involved in such chicanery: There's no need.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Pat wrote:

There are also some major benefits that people overlook.
For one, WM is a very green company.

While I am quite cynical when it comes to the "green" craze, let me
assure you that Walmart recycles like no other. It is truly an amazing
operation.

I'd bet that the average Ace Hardware store sends more corrugated to the
landfill than does the nearby Walmart Supercenter.

Plastic, corrugated (cardboard), metal - you name it. Walmart is a
fine-tuned "machine" when it comes to recycling.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Pat wrote:

There was a long story on NPR about this a while back. Yes, the main
reason is to increase sales. Most of their stores have very little
natural lighting but they are moving that way in the grocery depts to
increase sales. The natural light motivates people to buy more food,
particularly fresh produce.

This flies in the face of "my" store, built perhaps 7 years ago.

The entire store is pocked with large skylights. During the day, when
the sun goes behind a cloud, the ENTIRE store's array of fluorescent
lamps fire-up. Moments later, when the sun reappears from behind the
cloud, the whole stores-worth of fluorescents switch off. This folly
goes on EVERY day.

This is INCREDIBLY annoying when working in the photo department, trying
to color-correct images and do other visual work. I suspect the effect
is as distracting while trying to color-match paint or select fabric for
a sewing project.

Given the CO$T of incorporating the skylights into initial construction,
the ongoing thermal loss during heating and cooling and the
wear-and-tear on the light fixtures themselves, Walmart isn't saving a
damned dime. It's all "feel good" green effort for show.

As for the produce department: It's the only part of the store with
always-on quartz lamps shining on the product. You tell me...
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

And Walmart allows Salvation Army bell-ringers during the Chrismas season in
contrast to Target who has the Army's kettle thrown in the dumpster and the
bell-ringers beaten and arrested

ARGH!!! [ROFL]

(I may be exaggerating here).

No! Really?

Hehehehehehe!

JR
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Colbyt" wrote:

How the heck does Wal*Mart stay in business when so many
people seem to hate them?

Me thinks many of the protesters sneak ove rhtere in the
middle of the night and buy the cheap stuff.

Of that, you can be sure.

Except many of them are brazen enough to go even during daylight hours.
They are simply counting on getting lost in the crowd.
--

JR