Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Colored Tile Grout Lightened

"dadiOH" wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
Stand up shower. 2"+ square tiles. Tiles are a mixed grey. Outside
shower also tiled on floor and half walls. Grout is a darker
grey...called natural grey from the grout charts I've looked at. This
is a HUD wreck. Shower was covered with soap scum and it's been
sitting a long time...years. I scrubbed the **** out of it with Comet
spray bath/tile cleaner. Overall it cleaned it up good. Grout is nice
and dark when it's wet. Dries light. Very pale grey. Looks like it
was still loaded with soap scum. But toss a little water on it and it
immediately goes back dark like it originally was (probably). The
fact that it does this is either a sign of hope or no hope. Just not
sure which. Used a nylon brush, a greenie pad and even tried on one
inconspicuous spot a brass wire brush with the cleaner.

Except for a couple of small areas where I have to remove some tiles,
fix backing then replace the tiles, the other tiles are sound - floor
and wall.

I plan on stop by a tile store tomorrow and see what they have to say
for a solution...besides regrout the whole damn thing.

Anyone have any similar experience or input?

Seal it with a non-water base sealer...something that will retain the
wet look when dry. You could even use oil poly by wiping/brushing on
followed by a wipe down with thinner to get rid of any slopped onto
the tile surface (that on the grout will have been sucked in).

Personally, I'd learn to like light grey.

Personally, I'd learn to like light grey.

Outside the shower itself is the toilet. That floor and half wall is the
same tile/grout. Even though also faded, it's much darker makeing the
shower an obvious eyesore.