Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Colored Tile Grout Lightened

Stand up shower. 2"+ square tiles. Tiles are a mixed grey. Outside shower
also tiled on floor and half walls. Grout is a darker grey...called natural
grey from the grout charts I've looked at. This is a HUD wreck. Shower was
covered with soap scum and it's been sitting a long time...years. I
scrubbed the **** out of it with Comet spray bath/tile cleaner. Overall it
cleaned it up good. Grout is nice and dark when it's wet. Dries light. Very
pale grey. Looks like it was still loaded with soap scum. But toss a little
water on it and it immediately goes back dark like it originally was
(probably). The fact that it does this is either a sign of hope or no hope.
Just not sure which. Used a nylon brush, a greenie pad and even tried on
one inconspicuous spot a brass wire brush with the cleaner.

Except for a couple of small areas where I have to remove some tiles, fix
backing then replace the tiles, the other tiles are sound - floor and wall.

I plan on stop by a tile store tomorrow and see what they have to say for a
solution...besides regrout the whole damn thing.

Anyone have any similar experience or input?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
[...]

If the grout is ok except for the color, there are grout coloring products
you can buy. I used white "grout coating" to whiten my bathroom grout
(after I cleaned it). I think the brand was "Tile Gaurd". I was in the
home labrynth the other day and saw they had some grout color products for
other grout colors also, I've never used them though. The tile store will
probably give the best advice.

If it was me and the tile store said to re-grout, I would try the coloring
solution first anyway just because re-grout is so much work. Did I mention
I don't like to re-grout...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
[...]

Seal it with a non-water base sealer...something that will retain the wet
look when dry. You could even use oil poly by wiping/brushing on followed
by a wipe down with thinner to get rid of any slopped onto the tile surface
(that on the grout will have been sucked in).

Personally, I'd learn to like light grey.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply.

Well close on the oil poly dadiOH. As I said, need to do some repairs
behind the wall at the shower floor. Tiles loose and press back for like
6" up. Obvious water got in and backing crumbling. That was verified
today.

As it turned out,

But toss a little water on it and it
immediately goes back dark

turned out to be a good thing when I called the tile store this morning.
Guy said there is a "Polycure" product that penetrates way into the grout
and will restore and hold color. I had several squares in tact with grout
I took off the wall. Took it in to the tile store. Guy tried it and it
looked real good. Said to leave it on my sample for a few days/week and
see if it retains to my satisfaction. If not, I can return it. Since I
have the test tile section, I can see a cross section of the grout.
Several hours later the grout is penetrated all the way through the full
depth of the tile. You don't wanna know what this stuff costs, ugh! But
it's better than regrouting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
[...]

Outside the shower itself is the toilet. That floor and half wall is the
same tile/grout. Even though also faded, it's much darker makeing the
shower an obvious eyesore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Miles" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
[...]

I used that grout coating once. It looked and held up for the 6 months or
so I saw it. But it is a coating and someday will peel, especially on
flooring), is my guess.

The tile places I called either never heard of (?!) or didn't have
stains. I ended up with Polycure (see other followup). Better actually
since it's just one product and no coloring so no matching is involved.

Thanks for the reply...

Is it OK to Tile and Grout the same day? Eno Case UK diy 17 August 29th 20 02:30 AM
Removal of Tile Perfect Ceramic Tile Adhesive & Grout eganders Home Repair 0 January 27th 08 01:33 PM
Tile grout TheWanderer Home Repair 6 February 7th 07 03:30 AM
grout-only sealant versus tile-and-grout sealant? peter Home Repair 2 May 10th 05 05:13 AM
Colored silicon grout? buck16 Home Repair 3 December 20th 04 02:23 AM