Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is this wall going to fall down thanks to Anglian Windows?

Chris J Dixon wrote:
DM wrote:

mike wrote:
I've just discovered that my mother has been robbed --- sorry, I mean
had her windows replaced --- by those bottom-feeding scum at Anglian.

About 25% of the houses in our street suffer a similar problem. They all
have a window arrangement that goes around the corner of the house and after
getting replacement windows show signs of damaged brickwork and a 4ft crack
down the front of the house between upstairs and down stairs windows due to
bricks moving as they are now no longer adequately supported at the corner.
These were probably done 10years ago and none has resulted in any serious
structural damage to my knowledge.

Whilst in no way wanting to condone shoddy work, it would be
interesting to know what the small print of the original contract
stated.

IIRC many years ago when I had some windows replaced, there was
an explicit note to the effect that if the property was depending
upon the existing windows for structural support, then their
removal was at the owner's risk. Whether those would today be
considered unfair contract terms is certainly arguable.

I suspect so: IIRC (IANAL) there is a bit of law that says that what
counts is what one could reasonably expect: Houses falling down after
window replacement might be what anyone with experience of Anglia might
reasonably expect, but this probably wouldn't cut much ice with a judge,
or indeed Anglia.

"Anglia uses defense that shoddy workmanship is what one reasoanbly
expects from them"

Er..yes..

Final point: get media exposure. Nothing moves a bunch of bean counters
and salesmen faster than media exposure.

Chris