Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

Default Is this wall going to fall down thanks to Anglian Windows?

mike wrote:
I've just discovered that my mother has been robbed --- sorry, I mean
had her windows replaced --- by those bottom-feeding scum at Anglian.

In the gable end of her 1960's bungalow is a twelve foot long by six
foot high picture window. The replacement window (like the one it's
replaced) is in 3x four foot wide sections.

Since it was replaced a fortnight ago, a triangle of brickwork 12 foot
across by ten courses high has detached itself from the rest of the
wall along the mortar lines. At its widest, the gap that's opened up
is 6 to 7mm wide.

About 25% of the houses in our street suffer a similar problem. They all
have a window arrangement that goes around the corner of the house and after
getting replacement windows show signs of damaged brickwork and a 4ft crack
down the front of the house between upstairs and down stairs windows due to
bricks moving as they are now no longer adequately supported at the corner.
These were probably done 10years ago and none has resulted in any serious
structural damage to my knowledge.

Once when getting a few quotes for a new front door we mistakenly let an
Anglican salesman in our house. Not sure why exactly as neither of us
particularly like uPVC doors, but we thought we'd get some ballpark figures.
In any event we didn't get that far as the salesman was such an obnoxious
**** I asked him to leave after about 15 mins.

cheers

David