Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_4_] Bruce L. Bergman[_4_] is offline

Default Long term gasoline storage

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:18:07 -0700, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Pete C." wrote...
Bob La Londe wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote...

I'm thinking of getting a large gasoline tank, enough for two or more
years of use. Looking at the stabil product, they claim increasing fuel
life (in an engine) to 15 months.

Are there other things to increase fuel life? For example, will storage
at a constant 45 degrees help? What problems will old fuel cause?

I think there is a limit regarding storage and a step up in regulations.
Something like 500 gallons takes minimal precautions etc. Never really
thought about it, but I know a lot of the farmers in the midwest have a
500 gallon tank for their tractor(s), and I think most of them used to
just sit on stands. Been a while and I never really asked.

My grandfather had an elevated gasoline tank on his farm for filling his
tractor in Ohio. I know most of his gentleman farmer buddies did too.
Don't recall if he ever said how big it was, but I would guess 500 gallons.

You still see them, but they are full of Diesel fuel - which is a
Whole Lot Less volatile than Gasoline. Diesel is rated 'combustible,
a much higher flash point than gasoline at 'flammable'.

The minimum safe setup for long term semi-permanent gasoline storage
at ground level is a double-wall steel tank, with an outer containment
tank in case the inside tank leaks.

An industry standard 4" emergency fire vent on any large tank is a
really good idea, because you want the fuel to boil and vent as vapor
in a fire rather than rupture the tank. Better a big torch in one
spot than a spreading lake of fire headed toward the house...

And if you buy a DOT Transport Approved tank mounted on a trailer,
now it is a "portable" tank and you can side-step many of the local
fire regulations - not that they won't try, but you can always hitch
it up and move it.

L.A. City codes are in that Uber-Strict category, so I'm looking at
the Acme Trailer mobile fuel tank available from Northern Tool -
http://acmetrailer.biz/gallery.php?item=eze-gas
Just need to add the emergency vent and surge brakes.

If your local fire codes are really strict (and they allow you fuel;
storage at all...) they insist on either a "ConVault" tank - double
wall with lightweight perlite concrete insulation between the walls
as a fire break, and all the leak monitoring gear. And they might
also require a poured concrete pad and containment dike with a rain
drain valve.

Or a full-on buried double-wall fiberglass tank like you find at a
gas station, with the same electronic leak monitoring gear. But good
luck trying to get liability insurance on an underground gasoline tank
at a residence, your homeowners' carrier will drop you like a red-hot
rock.

You can install an underground tank for farm or commercial use, but
if you want insurance to cover the liability I'm betting that the
premiums will more than cancel out any possible long term savings on
fuel. There's just too much liability for leaks.

-- Bruce --