Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

On Aug 19, 12:16*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
RickH wrote:

Women LOVE WalMart, I know I cant say anything bad about WalMart
around my wife. *Women expect value and low prices and they get that
from Wal Mart. *Men on the other hand have the luxury to be
idealistic, union loyal, anti-chinese activists, or whatever concept
floats their political boat, etc. *Whereas most women just want to
make the family budget function properly, and Wal Mart lets them
accomplish that. *For most towns a Wal Mart is a boon to the local
economy, because soon after they open, many other smaller retailers
and restaurants will infill the area creating economic growth.
Chicago union-strapped politicos have kept Wal Mart out of the poor
black neighborhoods, against the will of the poor residents. *Well
those residents are still suffering with no place to buy fresh
produce, or much of anything else for that matter, and a serious lack
of local jobs.

It's interesting where there are, and are not, Walmart stores.
New York City - 0
Boston - 0
Chicago - 0
San Francisco - 0
Philadelphia - 2
Washington, D.C. - 0
Los Angeles - 1
Minneapolis - 0
Albany - 1
Providence - 1
Pittsburgh - 2
Boulder - 0
Denver - 1
Seattle - 0

Meanwhile:
Houston - 17
Dallas - 9
Oklahoma City - 12
Memphis - 5
Raleigh - 4
Richmond - 3
Columbus - 6
Indianapolis - 8- Hide quoted text -

With many of those 0 cities, the Wal Marts are ringed just over the
city limits in the adjacent suburbs. Drawing the shoppers out of the
city, a real boon for adjacent suburbs that can land a Wal Mart.