Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

"[PLAINFIELD, Penn] Walt Neidlinger spent years trying to keep a
Wal-Mart-anchored shopping complex from being built...

"The traffic would have been suffocating for their little community,
neighbors argued, so when the massive retailer and its partners packed up
their plans and left ... Neidlinger was ecstatic. He figured he'd wait for
the next plan to come along and remembers thinking, 'What could be worse
than Wal-Mart?'

"Over the past year, Neidlinger says, he's gotten an answer: RPM
Recycling -- the metal-shredding plant on the same land -- causes daily
noise that sounds like a freight train rumbling down the street, and
frequent explosions that shake his walls."

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...,5038048.story

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Walt Neidlinger spent years trying to keep a
Wal-Mart-anchored shopping complex from being built...

'What could be worse than Wal-Mart?'

"Over the past year, Neidlinger says, he's gotten an answer: RPM
Recycling -- the metal-shredding plant on the same land -- causes daily
noise that sounds like a freight train rumbling down the street, and
frequent explosions that shake his walls."

Proving yet again: Be careful. You might get what you're asking for.

It's a lead pipe cinch that Walmart would NOT have permitted a recycling
plant to be built next door.

All those jobs, all that tax base - gone. (Never was.) Too bad.

sigh
JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Walt Neidlinger spent years trying to keep a
Wal-Mart-anchored shopping complex from being built...

'What could be worse than Wal-Mart?'

"Over the past year, Neidlinger says, he's gotten an answer: RPM
Recycling -- the metal-shredding plant on the same land -- causes
daily noise that sounds like a freight train rumbling down the
street, and frequent explosions that shake his walls."

Proving yet again: Be careful. You might get what you're asking for.

It's a lead pipe cinch that Walmart would NOT have permitted a
recycling plant to be built next door.

All those jobs, all that tax base - gone. (Never was.) Too bad.

Good point. The recycling plant has, what, fifty workers compared to 200 for
Walmart. And the recycling plant generates zero sales tax dollars for the
city. Moreover, the property tax has to go down in the neighborhood due to
the collapse in home value by being next to a noise maker.

But Walmart's not there. To some, it's an even trade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Redelfs wrote:

It's a lead pipe cinch that Walmart would NOT have permitted a
recycling plant to be built next door.

All those jobs, all that tax base - gone. (Never was.) Too bad.

Actually, Walmarts don't contribute a lot in taxes because they
strategically plan so much of their floor space to their grocery
department, for which they pay no taxes.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:58:16 -0700, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to
reply wrote:

Actually, Walmarts don't contribute a lot in taxes because they
strategically plan so much of their floor space to their grocery
department, for which they pay no taxes.

I'm no fan of walmart, but that doesn't make sense.

I've been to Walmart, and plenty of their floorspace is NOT groceries.
70 or 80 percent, maybe more.

Whatever groceries people buy at walmart, if there were no walmart,
they'd buy it somewhere else. The total amount of groceries sold
doesn't vary that much in an area, because everyone eats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 18 Aug 2008 09:29:11p, Marina told us...

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote in
:

Jim Redelfs wrote:

It's a lead pipe cinch that Walmart would NOT have permitted a
recycling plant to be built next door.

All those jobs, all that tax base - gone. (Never was.) Too bad.

Actually, Walmarts don't contribute a lot in taxes because they
strategically plan so much of their floor space to their grocery
department, for which they pay no taxes.

We have a Super Wal-Mart about 1 mile away. Half the building seems to
be groceries. They have a whole bank of gas pumps, maybe 10 or 12 of
them. The gas is the cheapest around here. I used to go there, but no
more. The customers are too trashy. If i need something from Wal-Mart
then i order online. I'll go there for gas, but only when it's not too
busy, which is almost all the time.

I can't afford to think "global ecomony" or even "local economy" when I
need to make every single penny count. Wal-Mart generally has the best
prices on almost anything I need to buy. I really can't afford to not shop
there. If I find good specials at other stores, then I go to those stores,
but inevitably I end up at Wal-Mart for a lot of my shopping.

I agree with you about the typical customers. I make it a point to shop at
times where there is a minimum number of shoppers, either extremely early
or extremely late.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
1wks 6dys 5hrs 54mins
Hate is not the opposite of love;
apathy is. - Rollo May
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Jim Redelfs wrote:

It's a lead pipe cinch that Walmart would NOT have permitted a
recycling plant to be built next door.

All those jobs, all that tax base - gone. (Never was.) Too bad.

Actually, Walmarts don't contribute a lot in taxes because they
strategically plan so much of their floor space to their grocery

And another thing: What do you mean by strategically? That usually
refers to placing things where they'll be seen, like out the checkout
counter? Floor space percentages are determined by what they think
the market is.

(I actually don't like walmart and I only go there rarely when I can't
find what I want anywhere else.)

department, for which they pay no taxes.

We have a Super Wal-Mart about 1 mile away. Half the building seems to be
groceries. They have a whole bank of gas pumps, maybe 10 or 12 of them.
The gas is the cheapest around here. I used to go there, but no more. The
customers are too trashy. If i need something from Wal-Mart then i order
online. I'll go there for gas, but only when it's not too busy, which is
almost all the time.

So even if half the building is groceries, you have to add to the half
that isn't groceries all the sales of gasoline, ahnd it sounds like
there are plenty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Redelfs wrote:

It's a lead pipe cinch that Walmart would NOT have permitted a
recycling plant to be built next door.

All those jobs, all that tax base - gone. (Never was.) Too bad.

Actually, Walmarts don't contribute a lot in taxes because they
strategically plan so much of their floor space to their grocery
department, for which they pay no taxes.

In which locale is that? You're saying that grocery stores don't pay
property taxes? Never heard that one before.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:
Actually, Walmarts don't contribute a lot in taxes because they
strategically plan so much of their floor space to their grocery
department, for which they pay no taxes.

In which locale is that? You're saying that grocery stores don't pay
property taxes? Never heard that one before.

Most likely the OP was referring to sales tax which is not levied on
food in some states
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:
Actually, Walmarts don't contribute a lot in taxes because they
strategically plan so much of their floor space to their grocery
department, for which they pay no taxes.

In which locale is that? You're saying that grocery stores don't pay
property taxes? Never heard that one before.

Most likely the OP was referring to sales tax which is not levied on
food in some states

True. But there are many other taxes besides what's missed on food :-)

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , S. Hill wrote:
Jim Redelfs wrote:

It's a lead pipe cinch that Walmart would NOT have permitted a
recycling plant to be built next door.

All those jobs, all that tax base - gone. (Never was.) Too bad.

Actually, Walmarts don't contribute a lot in taxes because they
strategically plan so much of their floor space to their grocery
department, for which they pay no taxes.

As I hear it, they also often move in when getting a break from local
taxes that other businesses would have to pay in their place.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Redelfs wrote:

[...]

SNIP from here

Watch out for WM having WM-specific versions of merchandise, such as
lighter weight version of "personal size" frozen pizzas of a specific
brand and censored CDs.

I have yet to verify personally these accusations that I have seen,
after seeing a Usenet thread where WM was accused (as they often have been)
of making workers work off-the-clock and a majority of responses on WM's
side appeared to me to defend WM by "blaming the victims" as opposed to
claiming that WM did not do such. As in it's been quite a few years since
I bought anything from them.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Redelfs wrote:

[...]

It appears to me that there is largely lack of municipal taxation of
gasoline either going in or out of the retailer in municipalities that are
much less taxing than Philadelphia.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply" wrote in
message
Actually, Walmarts don't contribute a lot in taxes because they
strategically plan so much of their floor space to their grocery
department, for which they pay no taxes.

They pay taxes here. Never heard of such an exemption.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 7:53�am, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
that is hifukkinlarrious...

"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

"[PLAINFIELD, Penn] Walt Neidlinger spent years trying to keep a
Wal-Mart-anchored shopping complex from being built...

"The traffic would have been suffocating for their little community,
neighbors argued, so when the massive retailer and its partners packed up
their plans and left ... Neidlinger was ecstatic. He figured he'd wait for
the next plan to come along and remembers thinking, 'What could be worse
than Wal-Mart?'

"Over the past year, Neidlinger says, he's gotten an answer: RPM
Recycling -- the metal-shredding plant on the same land -- causes daily
noise that sounds like a freight train rumbling down the street, and
frequent explosions that shake his walls."

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...5038048.story- Hide quoted text -

A high school buddy who is in management at a large food chain tells
me wallmart intentionally makes zero profit on groceries, they use it
as bait to get customers in the door to buy everything else. this
makes them tough competition for food stores......

certinally their grocery prices are low
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message news:f22af8fa-4d25-460e-8a36-
A high school buddy who is in management at a large food chain tells
me wallmart intentionally makes zero profit on groceries, they use it
as bait to get customers in the door to buy everything else. this
makes them tough competition for food stores......
certinally their grocery prices are low

However, while they are lower than any of the other "chain" stores around
here, I will never buy any meat there. The prices at WalMart are nearly
double what the local butcher shop (family owned, one store) charges. Since
we low-carb, meat is our major food expense. The butcher shop sells boneless
chicken breasts for $1.69/lb every Wednesday and whole ribeyes for $5.29/lb
every day. WalMart is not even close. Plus, the breasts are bigger and we
can cut the ribeye into 1.5" thick steaks instead of those whingy little
things WalMart sells.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

In article , S. Hill wrote:
Jim Redelfs wrote:
It's a lead pipe cinch that Walmart would NOT have permitted a
recycling plant to be built next door.

All those jobs, all that tax base - gone. (Never was.) Too bad.
Actually, Walmarts don't contribute a lot in taxes because they
strategically plan so much of their floor space to their grocery
department, for which they pay no taxes.

As I hear it, they also often move in when getting a break from local
taxes that other businesses would have to pay in their place.

Nah. They usually get the same tax incentives that are available
for any business. They are just a little more agressive in asking for
them than some others.

Not really, at least in my state Walmart has the special hotline to get
the government to pick our pockets to pay for ultradeluxe corporate
welfare. They get free building sites, free infrastructure etc and a
nine year tax exemption. When the nine year tax exemption is running out
wally calls the hotline so they can move across the street to restart
the nine year tax exemption. In my area we are now moving the third
wally all of 1/8 of a mile. We pretty much had to level a mountain for
them. All this because they "create jobs"...

Contrast this with someone I know who has a good business plan and is
growing in leaps and bounds and is mostly constrained by funding. He
actually creates real jobs with actual benefits (Walmart gives
instructions on how to sign up for welfare and free medical) and he
can't even get a reduced rate loan to help move to a new building. And
this is by no means an unusual case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default -google_groups- "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

wrote:
On Aug 19, 7:53�am, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
that is hifukkinlarrious...

"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

[...]

Not really, we buy most of are groceries at a large family owned market
which has great price and quality. In addition they have super quality
produce and an actual meat department. Walmart sells meat that is
embalmed with preservatives and water so it can sit on the shelf for a
long time. You can identify the embalmed "fresh" meat without even
reading the label when you see those packages with a large headspace
that always look wet on the inside. When they first open a store they
actually stock it with real meat. A buddy mentioned there was a new
super wally opening in his area and I mentioned the embalmed meat. He
said I was making it up. A few months later he mentioned that all of the
"fresh" meat was now replaced with the embalmed stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Walt Neidlinger spent years trying to keep a
Wal-Mart-anchored shopping complex from being built...

'What could be worse than Wal-Mart?'

"Over the past year, Neidlinger says, he's gotten an answer: RPM
Recycling -- the metal-shredding plant on the same land -- causes
daily noise that sounds like a freight train rumbling down the
street, and frequent explosions that shake his walls."

Proving yet again: Be careful. You might get what you're asking for.

It's a lead pipe cinch that Walmart would NOT have permitted a
recycling plant to be built next door.

All those jobs, all that tax base - gone. (Never was.) Too bad.

At minimum wage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

Watch out for WM having WM-specific versions of merchandise, such as
lighter weight version of "personal size" frozen pizzas of a specific
brand and censored CDs.

I spoke to a friend who is the CEO of a bicycle manufacturer about his
dealings with Wal-Mart. He said he's happy to sell to them, but only on
condition that his company's name does not appear on the product, because
of what he's forced to do in order to meet their pricing policies.
Example: fewer spokes in the wheels, vinyl instead of leather saddles,
plastic where metal should be used, unsmoothed welds, no primer, less paint,
etc. You only get what you pay for. A great majority of Wal-Mart merchandise
is built to a price point, rather than a quality/feature level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 4:18*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
"[PLAINFIELD, Penn] Walt Neidlinger spent years trying to keep a
Wal-Mart-anchored shopping complex from being built...

"The traffic would have been suffocating for their little community,
neighbors argued, so when the massive retailer and its partners packed up
their plans and left ... Neidlinger was ecstatic. He figured he'd wait for
the next plan to come along and remembers thinking, 'What could be worse
than Wal-Mart?'

"Over the past year, Neidlinger says, he's gotten an answer: RPM
Recycling -- the metal-shredding plant on the same land -- causes daily
noise that sounds like a freight train rumbling down the street, and
frequent explosions that shake his walls."

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...,5038048.story

Women LOVE WalMart, I know I cant say anything bad about WalMart
around my wife. Women expect value and low prices and they get that
from Wal Mart. Men on the other hand have the luxury to be
idealistic, union loyal, anti-chinese activists, or whatever concept
floats their political boat, etc. Whereas most women just want to
make the family budget function properly, and Wal Mart lets them
accomplish that. For most towns a Wal Mart is a boon to the local
economy, because soon after they open, many other smaller retailers
and restaurants will infill the area creating economic growth.
Chicago union-strapped politicos have kept Wal Mart out of the poor
black neighborhoods, against the will of the poor residents. Well
those residents are still suffering with no place to buy fresh
produce, or much of anything else for that matter, and a serious lack
of local jobs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Redelfs wrote:

It's a lead pipe cinch that Walmart would NOT have permitted a
recycling plant to be built next door.

All those jobs, all that tax base - gone. (Never was.) Too bad.

Actually, Walmarts don't contribute a lot in taxes because they
strategically plan so much of their floor space to their grocery
department, for which they pay no taxes.

I'm missing something here. Why would Walmart care how much sales tax the
customer pays?

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:

[...]

It's interesting where there are, and are not, Walmart stores.
New York City - 0
Boston - 0
Chicago - 0
San Francisco - 0
Philadelphia - 2
Washington, D.C. - 0
Los Angeles - 1
Minneapolis - 0
Albany - 1
Providence - 1
Pittsburgh - 2
Boulder - 0
Denver - 1
Seattle - 0

Meanwhile:
Houston - 17
Dallas - 9
Oklahoma City - 12
Memphis - 5
Raleigh - 4
Richmond - 3
Columbus - 6
Indianapolis - 8

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The bitterness of low quality is remembered long after the sweetness of
low price is forgotten," -- John Wanamaker

At least, that has been my experience with Walmart.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I can't afford to think "global ecomony" or even "local economy" when I
need to make every single penny count. Wal-Mart generally has the best
prices on almost anything I need to buy. I really can't afford to not shop
there. If I find good specials at other stores, then I go to those stores,
but inevitably I end up at Wal-Mart for a lot of my shopping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PanHandler wrote:

etc. You only get what you pay for. A great majority of Wal-Mart merchandise
is built to a price point, rather than a quality/feature level.

Yeah, and poor Sam much be spinning in his grave to the point of being
dizzy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:

Women LOVE WalMart,

If that is true, then I am not a woman, even though I have carried and
delivered four children.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 19 Aug 2008 12:53:45a, Don Klipstein told us...

Jim Redelfs wrote:

[...]

We're very careful shoppers, and not unaware of many of WM's practices. We
got burned one time which was some time ago, and have been very aware of
checking weight, count, ingredients, parts, etc. I'm not saying they
couldn't slip something by us, but it would be unlikely.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
1wks 6dys 5hrs 54mins
Hate is not the opposite of love;
apathy is. - Rollo May

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 19 Aug 2008 10:51:30a, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply told
us...

"The bitterness of low quality is remembered long after the sweetness of
low price is forgotten," -- John Wanamaker

Your quote is certainly a true statement.

At least, that has been my experience with Walmart.

We are very careful to not be caught in thei trap.

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
1wks 6dys 5hrs 54mins
Hate is not the opposite of love;
apathy is. - Rollo May
Posted to alt.home.repair

[top-posting corrected]
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

Strategically in this case means that they do it to figure out how to
minimize the amount of taxes they have to pay.

Please be specific about WHICH taxes you are alleging that Walmart doesn't
pay because of a large grocery store footprint. If you are talking about
sales taxes, NO business pays sales taxes. It is only the CONSUMER who pays
the tax on purchases made.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 12:16*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
RickH wrote:

[...]

Indianapolis - 8- Hide quoted text -

With many of those 0 cities, the Wal Marts are ringed just over the
city limits in the adjacent suburbs. Drawing the shoppers out of the
city, a real boon for adjacent suburbs that can land a Wal Mart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/19/08 02:07 am rochacha wrote:

Move to NY.....you pay tax on top of tax on top of tax......forever.

We lived in NY (Long Island, not NYC) for several years and have no idea
to what you are referring. Of the 8.5% ST, 4% went to the state and the
rest to the county, but the taxes were not cumulative.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:15:18 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 08/19/08 02:07 am rochacha wrote:

Move to NY.....you pay tax on top of tax on top of tax......forever.

We lived in NY (Long Island, not NYC) for several years and have no idea
to what you are referring. Of the 8.5% ST, 4% went to the state and the
rest to the county, but the taxes were not cumulative.

There's also an entertainment tax, but that's true in many states, and
NY has a lot more entertainment.

There's also a hotel tax. Is that the same as the entertainment tax?
Regardless, I think the hotel tax is everywhere, and NYS has more
reasons to visit.

NYC has a local surcharge on the state income tax iirc, but that sort
of thing is elsewhere too, I don't know how much.

The Maryland sales tax is up to 7%, having been raised 1 percent
during a special sesssion last December which some said was illegal.

I miss NYC. It's a great place.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:53:12 -0700, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to
reply wrote:

Strategically in this case means that they do it to figure out how to
minimize the amount of taxes they have to pay.

That would make sense if it were possible to do that. But you have yet
to explain what you are referring to and it continues to seem
impossible.

Don is right, that the sales tax on gasoline doesn't go to
municipality or the county, unless there is a local surcharge and
those surcharges are rare. So if you were talking about local taxes,
my point about gas tax probably proved nothing. (Plus the sales tax
is paid by the customer and collected for the state by the store.)

But if you are talking about local taxes, what local tax are you
talking about that is not the same for groceries and everything else?
Dave points out that the property tax, the only local tax that comes
to mind, is the same for the part of the store selling groceries and
the rest of the store. How do they save on taxes by selling
groceries? Are the other grocery stores in the area not paying their
share of taxes.

So far, your complaint against Walmart sounds like something you've
heard but haven't really thought about, and is one of the nonsense
complaints that people who don't like something concoct.

Again, I rarely go to Walmart, partly because I rarely buy anything at
all, other than hardware and repair parts for things I already own,
that WM doesn't sell. As to food I've never bought more than a candy
bar or bag of cookies at walmart to be eaten right then.

Exceptions, and worth telling you all about:
A) I didn't buy a digital camera until the middle of my last big
vacation. From the 8 rolls of film I had shot, I had double prints
made and a CD of each roll. I went several places, including a camera
store and had one roll done at each place. Walmart was the only one
that put mini-pictures, of every picture on the roll, on the CD, so I
don't need to keep the CD in the same envelope with prints or
negatives to know which CD is in my hand. If I find one next to the
CD drive, I can tell what's on it without turning on the computer or
starting the software. It turns out Costco does this too, although I
know nothing else about Costco. I don't know why the others don't.
This solves an annoyance that had bothered me for years.

B) Other than mail order, which I didn't want in case I had to
exchange it, Walmart and Sams Club are the only places around here and
maybe nationwide that sell the Phillips 7576H DVDR with Hard Drive.
AFAIK this is the only digital dvdr with a harddrive available in the
USA. I have no idea why other stores don't sell it, except maybe
eveyone gets a dvr or dvdr from their cable or satellite company, or
has TIVO. I don't want to spend that kind of money, and maybe a
store that targets poor people is likely to have this thing, even
though 250 or 300 dollars isn't so little I sneeze at it. But I like
mine.

C) I can no longer find the little cubes with switches on them that
plug into a receptacle and something else plugs into them. About 1x1x1
inch, with a switch, it's very convenient for lots of things, for
things that don't have their own switches or for which I want the
power to be totally removed (I have a tv that seems to need resetting
once in a while. The bathroom outlet and the switch I put there is
easy to reach). But Walmart usually has them, both 3-prong and
2-prong!!! Eventually I also found one at K-mart, but there the
nearest k-mart is fairly far and only had ONE.

D) For a while they had a very good price on CF bulbs. But
eventually home depot did too, and I won't need any more for years.

I think that's all I've bought from them in the last 3 years, and
maybe nothing before that.

But I still don't want to see prevail what seems like a mistaken
statement about the taxes they pay.

mm wrote:

And another thing: What do you mean by strategically? That usually
refers to placing things where they'll be seen, like out the checkout
counter? Floor space percentages are determined by what they think
the market is.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 05:25:28 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

A high school buddy who is in management at a large food chain tells
me wallmart intentionally makes zero profit on groceries, they use it
as bait to get customers in the door to buy everything else. this
makes them tough competition for food stores......

If so, or even if not, maybe this is the origin of Samantha's post
about not paying taxes, even though they are very different.

certinally their grocery prices are low

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

HeyBub wrote:

It's interesting where there are, and are not, Walmart stores.
Los Angeles - 1

There are 4 WM stores within the Los Angeles city limits. Two are in
areas that have been hit with retail blight (for which WM takes great
pride). Admittedly, the penetration is low in comparison other
metropolitan areas.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:10:29 -0400, George
wrote:

When they first open a store they
actually stock it with real meat.

When Nabisco Chips Ahoy first came out, it had loads of chocolate
chips. After months or a year or two it went down.

When Ragu speghetti sauce Many Mushroom or whatever came out 10 or 15
years, ago, many many mushrooms. Now it's hard to find any spaghetti
sauce that even mentions mushrooms on the label. Are they more
expensive now or just out of fashion with spaghetti eaters.?

Not the same thing, but the local chinese take out may have been sold
-- I no longer see anyone there that I recognize - but the mushroom
egg foo yung had loads and loads of mushrooms. It used to have less
than I thought maybe it should. I don't know if this is their Grand
Opening special and I should eat more there now, or if it will be
their new recipe. (The other dish I had was good but didn't seem any
better than average. )

A buddy mentioned there was a new
super wally opening in his area and I mentioned the embalmed meat. He
said I was making it up. A few months later he mentioned that all of the
"fresh" meat was now replaced with the embalmed stuff.

Well at least if it is embalmed well, it won't spoil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

It's interesting where there are, and are not, Walmart stores.
Los Angeles - 1

There are 4 WM stores within the Los Angeles city limits. Two are in
areas that have been hit with retail blight (for which WM takes great
pride). Admittedly, the penetration is low in comparison other
metropolitan areas.

According to Walmart, only one store in Los Angeles:

http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/...e=&x=29&y =10