Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

On Tue 19 Aug 2008 12:53:45a, Don Klipstein told us...

In article 7, Wayne
Boatwright wrote:
On Mon 18 Aug 2008 09:29:11p, Marina told us...

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote
in :

Jim Redelfs wrote:

It's a lead pipe cinch that Walmart would NOT have permitted a
recycling plant to be built next door.

All those jobs, all that tax base - gone. (Never was.) Too bad.

Actually, Walmarts don't contribute a lot in taxes because they
strategically plan so much of their floor space to their grocery
department, for which they pay no taxes.

We have a Super Wal-Mart about 1 mile away. Half the building seems
to be groceries. They have a whole bank of gas pumps, maybe 10 or 12
of them. The gas is the cheapest around here. I used to go there, but
no more. The customers are too trashy. If i need something from
Wal-Mart then i order online. I'll go there for gas, but only when
it's not too busy, which is almost all the time.

I can't afford to think "global ecomony" or even "local economy" when I
need to make every single penny count. Wal-Mart generally has the best
prices on almost anything I need to buy. I really can't afford to not
shop there.

SNIP from here

Watch out for WM having WM-specific versions of merchandise, such as
lighter weight version of "personal size" frozen pizzas of a specific
brand and censored CDs.

I have yet to verify personally these accusations that I have seen,
after seeing a Usenet thread where WM was accused (as they often have
been) of making workers work off-the-clock and a majority of responses
on WM's side appeared to me to defend WM by "blaming the victims" as
opposed to claiming that WM did not do such. As in it's been quite a
few years since I bought anything from them.

- Don Klipstein )

We're very careful shoppers, and not unaware of many of WM's practices. We
got burned one time which was some time ago, and have been very aware of
checking weight, count, ingredients, parts, etc. I'm not saying they
couldn't slip something by us, but it would be unlikely.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day