Posted to alt.home.repair
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default legal way to hook up water to refrigerator

On Aug 18, 5:32*pm, (dooozie) wrote:
-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. *It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. *He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. *This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. *What
can anyone tell me about this? *He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

It might not be code for a licenses plumber to do the installation in
that way but it's your house and your fridge. If you want to add a box
and a shutoff valve in the wall behind the fridge yourself you can
probably do it for about 25$in materials with a compression fitting
valve and a nice box to trim it out.
Oh and find a better plumber , there are honest tradesmen out there
and they keep customers for generations.