Posted to alt.home.repair

Default legal way to hook up water to refrigerator

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dooozie" wrote in message

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

tell him to go away. what you have is fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Never heard tell of this either.
"dooozie" wrote in message

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

Posted to alt.home.repair

dooozie wrote:

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

The box is for water fuses, right? ;-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to alt.home.repair

dooozie wrote:
-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up
is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the
refrigerator through a hole in the wall down to a water source in
the
basement. He told me that they now require some sort of a box in
the
wall behind the refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard
of
such a thing. What can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me
$600
to install the box. Does this seem like a fair quote?

My gut reaction is that he's trying to rip you off. However if you
want to know for sure, call the building inspector--there is no single
building code recognized everywhere in the world so it is concievable
that you inhabit some locality in which there really is such a
requirement.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:32:53 GMT, dooozie wrote:

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

Sounds to me like a ripoff/scam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:32:53 GMT, dooozie wrote:

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

BTW: find out what agency licences plumbers in your region and report him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dooozie" wrote in message

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

If he said you need a copper line instead of plastic it might have some
truth.

However ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:32:53 GMT, dooozie wrote:

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

Sounds to me like a ripoff/scam.

Agreed, a scam, but I wish my house had a box like that in the kitchen.
My 30-year old copper feed line is teakettled mostly closed, and I need
to replace it. Unfortunately, the twits that replaced my furnace and
installed a new duct run out to the addition, put that new duct right
under the saddle tap that runs to the frig, so I have no good access
without dropping a section of duct. I'm scared to even move the fridge
straight out 3 feet to clean under it, for fear of cracking that old copper.

It's on the 'one of these days' list- for now, I just keep the icemaker
switched off, and do without the water-in-door.

If I ever built a house, I'd put in a modified washer rough-in in the
frig bay, with a quick disconnect right there, and a flex hose.

I need to get my outside spigots replaced with freeze-proof ones anyway-
anybody care to make a SWAG what the plumber would charge to replace the
saddle with a tee, and put a shutoff and filter connection somewhere
where I can actually get to it? (Yeah, I know, none of that is rocket
surgery, but I don't have a torch or the skill set to use it, and my
eyesight ain't what it used to be....)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:32:53 GMT,
(dooozie) wrote:

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

Even if there were some such requirement for NEW constuction, and I'm
not at all saying there is, it's very unlikely it would apply to your
house. Find out from him what this box is supposed to do, call the
building inspector to verify that it's not required, and I agree,
report him to plumbers licensing board.

BTW my neighbor called code enforcment on me, and the guy complained
about wood on the ground, tarps, and gas storage. He didn't say on
his form what was wrong with the gas storage so when I was in town, I
went to the code enforcement office. They told me to ask the fire
deapartment and the fire department said as long as the gas was in a
container designed for gas, like one of those red plastic ones, I was
fine and they had no power to regulate further anyhow. So what was
the code enforcment complaining about?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Polyethlene hose is a disaster waiting to happen. Most codes now
forbid it. If that's what he's talking about, he's right. In addition,
the preferred way to plumb an ice maker line is to mount the shut off
valve as close to the fridge as possible. That prevents just the sort
of mess that aemeijers was talking about.

I hadn't heard of a shut off box behind the fridge, but it makes a lot
of sense.

Way too many cases of flooded kitchens and mold caused by bursting
plastic lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 18 Aug 2008 02:32:53p, dooozie told us...

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box.

Does
this seem like a fair quote?

No, he's way overpriced. I don't know if it's code where I live, but all
new homes do have the box in the wall with a valve where the tubing is
connected. That said, it's not really necessary for proper operation.
However, it is a very good idea to have a separate shutoff valve for the
feed to your icemaker. It is nice to have the box because it has a
recessed cutoff valve mounted inside. You could probably do the job
yourself for just the cost of the box and perhaps an extra shutoff valve.

Just for kicks, I should relate the Rube Goldberg job I had to do to feed
my icemaker in a condo I once owned. The only water source was the cold
water line under the kitchen sink. It was a galley kitchen with the fridge
located on the wall opposite the sink. The floor was concrete slab with
ceramic tile, so no hope of going downunder.

I connected the plastic line to the cold water line with a saddle valve,
then fed it horizontally through several banks of cabinets to the end wall
which had a archway opening into the hall. I fed it up through the upper
cabinets, then out the front corner of the end cabinet. to cross over the
doorway, I covered the line with a hollow quarter-round, where it met with
a pantry on the opposite wall. The line was then routed through the pantry
which was adjacent to the fridge. I put an in-line shutoff valve at that
end so that I could turn it off just before connecting to the fridge. I
couldn't trust the saddle valve under the sink, as they are notorious for
leaking if turned off once they're installed.

I'm sure I violated ever code they might have, but it worked like a charm
for years without incident. Hope you can picture the installation. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
1wks 6dys 5hrs 54mins
Hate is not the opposite of love;
apathy is. - Rollo May
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 02:14:28 GMT, aemeijers wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

I just rolled out my fridge to see what was back there, and it is a shutoff
valve just like what typically lives behind a toilet. Connecting from it
to the water filter on the back of the fridge is a steel braided hose.

To go from what you have to what I have would involve running a new copper line
to a shutoff valve in the wall, and then some nice flexible line to the fridge.
About a two hour job for an incompetant like me including cutting and patching
drywall and about $50 worth of materials. Certainly not the $600 ripoff
envisioned by the OP's scumbag plumber.
Posted to alt.home.repair

what you have is fine. There is nothing ILLEGAL about plumbing.

"dooozie" wrote in message

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dooozie" wrote in message

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. *It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. *He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. *This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. *What
can anyone tell me about this? *He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

The wall boxes for refrigerator hook-ups are available at home center
stores. I've seen them in new construction. All they are is a
convenience feature, so you have a box with a shutoff valve to easily
connect the fridge to. Whether they are required by code for new
work, I don't know. But I doubt very much that they are required if
you are just replacing a refrigerator. If you were remodeling the
kitchen, then it's possible code would require it to be updated,
assuming there is a code reqt now for them.

Bottom line, if it were me, I'd just leave it as is and not even
bother investigating any further.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 5:32*pm, (dooozie) wrote:
-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. *It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. *He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. *This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. *What
can anyone tell me about this? *He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

It might not be code for a licenses plumber to do the installation in
that way but it's your house and your fridge. If you want to add a box
and a shutoff valve in the wall behind the fridge yourself you can
probably do it for about 25$in materials with a compression fitting
valve and a nice box to trim it out.
Oh and find a better plumber , there are honest tradesmen out there
and they keep customers for generations.