Posted to alt.home.repair

Default legal way to hook up water to refrigerator

On Aug 19, 7:47*am, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
what you have is fine. *There is nothing ILLEGAL about plumbing.

"dooozie" wrote in message

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. *It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. *He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. *This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. *What
can anyone tell me about this? *He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

The wall boxes for refrigerator hook-ups are available at home center
stores. I've seen them in new construction. All they are is a
convenience feature, so you have a box with a shutoff valve to easily
connect the fridge to. Whether they are required by code for new
work, I don't know. But I doubt very much that they are required if
you are just replacing a refrigerator. If you were remodeling the
kitchen, then it's possible code would require it to be updated,
assuming there is a code reqt now for them.

Bottom line, if it were me, I'd just leave it as is and not even
bother investigating any further.