Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default legal way to hook up water to refrigerator

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 02:14:28 GMT, aemeijers wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:32:53 GMT, dooozie wrote:

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

Sounds to me like a ripoff/scam.

Agreed, a scam, but I wish my house had a box like that in the kitchen.
My 30-year old copper feed line is teakettled mostly closed, and I need
to replace it. Unfortunately, the twits that replaced my furnace and
installed a new duct run out to the addition, put that new duct right
under the saddle tap that runs to the frig, so I have no good access

I just rolled out my fridge to see what was back there, and it is a shutoff
valve just like what typically lives behind a toilet. Connecting from it
to the water filter on the back of the fridge is a steel braided hose.

To go from what you have to what I have would involve running a new copper line
to a shutoff valve in the wall, and then some nice flexible line to the fridge.
About a two hour job for an incompetant like me including cutting and patching
drywall and about $50 worth of materials. Certainly not the $600 ripoff
envisioned by the OP's scumbag plumber.