Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

In article , mm wrote:
On 19 Aug 2008 04:29:11 GMT, Marina wrote:

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote in
:

Jim Redelfs wrote:

It's a lead pipe cinch that Walmart would NOT have permitted a
recycling plant to be built next door.

All those jobs, all that tax base - gone. (Never was.) Too bad.

Actually, Walmarts don't contribute a lot in taxes because they
strategically plan so much of their floor space to their grocery

And another thing: What do you mean by strategically? That usually
refers to placing things where they'll be seen, like out the checkout
counter? Floor space percentages are determined by what they think
the market is.

(I actually don't like walmart and I only go there rarely when I can't
find what I want anywhere else.)

department, for which they pay no taxes.

We have a Super Wal-Mart about 1 mile away. Half the building seems to be
groceries. They have a whole bank of gas pumps, maybe 10 or 12 of them.
The gas is the cheapest around here. I used to go there, but no more. The
customers are too trashy. If i need something from Wal-Mart then i order
online. I'll go there for gas, but only when it's not too busy, which is
almost all the time.

So even if half the building is groceries, you have to add to the half
that isn't groceries all the sales of gasoline, ahnd it sounds like
there are plenty.

It appears to me that there is largely lack of municipal taxation of
gasoline either going in or out of the retailer in municipalities that are
much less taxing than Philadelphia.

- Don Klipstein )