Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is this wall going to fall down thanks to Anglian Windows?

mike wrote:
I've just discovered that my mother has been robbed --- sorry, I mean
had her windows replaced --- by those bottom-feeding scum at Anglian.

In the gable end of her 1960's bungalow is a twelve foot long by six
foot high picture window. The replacement window (like the one it's
replaced) is in 3x four foot wide sections.

Since it was replaced a fortnight ago, a triangle of brickwork 12 foot
across by ten courses high has detached itself from the rest of the
wall along the mortar lines. At its widest, the gap that's opened up
is 6 to 7mm wide.

I imagine that, when confronted, they'll say that it just needs
repointing. Apart from looking crap if the mortar lines vary by up to
7mm, it seems to me that it needs a lintel installing and rebuilding
properly, and that they shouldn't have let this happen.

The original wooden window was replaced with UPVC by a local company
about 20 years ago and there was never any problem with moving
brickwork.

Also, if you rap lightly on the pane at one end, the pane at the other
wobbles visibly back and forth, suggesting the whole thing is as
flimsy as ****.

Am I worrying unnecessarily about this or does it need major building
work to correct?

Is it their responsibility?

Is it worth contacting the BCO?

Get a firm of structural engineers in and pay for a report.

Then engage a solicitor, and demand that they do the job properly under
the aegis of the engineer, or pay you for all expenses and the cost of
rectification.