Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Oil Fired boiler woes

On 19 Aug, 01:09, wrote:
Ok, i've googled to no avail, so i'm stopping by in here.

I have a Riello 40 fired boiler, but it's going into constant lockout.
It's had a couple of emergency 20L oil drums thrown into the tank, and
the oil has been bled through to within about 1ft of the boiler.

It's not exactly 'flowing' as the tank is still quite low, can the
Rello lift the oil itself via the pump, or do I need to prime it right
to the pump ? How ? I can't see any bleed valves or any way to get the
oil further.

Is it self priming *?

I've replaced the gate valve on the tank, and there's a flow of oil
coming out of the filter, so the oil level is definitely above the
outlet (!)

There is also a device which I take to be an oil flow cutoff valve
(it's connected to a capillary tube) and is in line with the oil feed
with a label 'push buttton hard to reset', but I can't see a button to
press on it :/

Any advice appreciated before I get a man in.

Cheers,

Paul.

I have a Riello 40. I have run the tank right down to empty on
several times in the 20 odd years I've had it and the pump has quite
happily coped with that when the tank was refilled - it does have a 10
ft lift. Having said that I was warned by the service engineer that
the pump does rely on the oil for lubrication and running it dry can
knacker it.

I do remember when commissioned the guy couldn't get it to work and
found in due course that a coupling was leaking air into the system.

Do I take it you don't have the handbook which has a Fault Finding
Chart? When you say 'lockout' what actually do you mean ? Is the
burner firing and then cutting out or is it just not firing ?

Rob