Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Brick paver patterns

"Oren" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:05:54 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

In this area of the north, we do the same thing, except we skip the thin
layer of sand because the ants insist on mining it from under the bricks
and
dumping it on the top. Instead we use limestone screenings, the fine dust
and grit that results when they sift it out of washed crushed limestone.
It
doesn't stop the ants but deters their activity because the screenings
pack
solid and set into a soft "concrete" layer that is hard to dig into.

Wouldn't granite dust compact better? Just something I read. Wet it
and pack it, repeat, so it becomes almost like a cement. Prevents pest
and weeds...

Possibly, but we don't have granite dust probably because we don't have much
granite available in this area, the local rock is limestone, so we use
limestone screenings which is mostly dust and it does compact almost like
cement.