Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default legal way to hook up water to refrigerator

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:32:53 GMT,
(dooozie) wrote:

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

Even if there were some such requirement for NEW constuction, and I'm
not at all saying there is, it's very unlikely it would apply to your
house. Find out from him what this box is supposed to do, call the
building inspector to verify that it's not required, and I agree,
report him to plumbers licensing board.

BTW my neighbor called code enforcment on me, and the guy complained
about wood on the ground, tarps, and gas storage. He didn't say on
his form what was wrong with the gas storage so when I was in town, I
went to the code enforcement office. They told me to ask the fire
deapartment and the fire department said as long as the gas was in a
container designed for gas, like one of those red plastic ones, I was
fine and they had no power to regulate further anyhow. So what was
the code enforcment complaining about?