Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default legal way to hook up water to refrigerator

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:32:53 GMT, dooozie wrote:

-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the refrigerator
through a hole in the wall down to a water source in the basement. He
told me that they now require some sort of a box in the wall behind the
refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard of such a thing. What
can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me $600 to install the box. Does
this seem like a fair quote?

Sounds to me like a ripoff/scam.

Agreed, a scam, but I wish my house had a box like that in the kitchen.
My 30-year old copper feed line is teakettled mostly closed, and I need
to replace it. Unfortunately, the twits that replaced my furnace and
installed a new duct run out to the addition, put that new duct right
under the saddle tap that runs to the frig, so I have no good access
without dropping a section of duct. I'm scared to even move the fridge
straight out 3 feet to clean under it, for fear of cracking that old copper.

It's on the 'one of these days' list- for now, I just keep the icemaker
switched off, and do without the water-in-door.

If I ever built a house, I'd put in a modified washer rough-in in the
frig bay, with a quick disconnect right there, and a flex hose.

I need to get my outside spigots replaced with freeze-proof ones anyway-
anybody care to make a SWAG what the plumber would charge to replace the
saddle with a tee, and put a shutoff and filter connection somewhere
where I can actually get to it? (Yeah, I know, none of that is rocket
surgery, but I don't have a torch or the skill set to use it, and my
eyesight ain't what it used to be....)

--
aem sends...