Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default legal way to hook up water to refrigerator

dooozie wrote:
-------------------------------------

I was just told by a plumber that the way my ice maker is hooked up
is
illegal. It is a plastic tube attached from the back of the
refrigerator through a hole in the wall down to a water source in
the
basement. He told me that they now require some sort of a box in
the
wall behind the refrigerator. This is the first time I have heard
of
such a thing. What can anyone tell me about this? He quoted me
$600
to install the box. Does this seem like a fair quote?

My gut reaction is that he's trying to rip you off. However if you
want to know for sure, call the building inspector--there is no single
building code recognized everywhere in the world so it is concievable
that you inhabit some locality in which there really is such a
requirement.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)