Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Brick paver patterns

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
news

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Aug 17, 9:01 pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

Same here in the desert. We had quite a bit installed in Las Vegas about
three years ago. Looks exactly the same. BUT, those guys were out there
with a water filled roller packing the heck out of the sand before they
laid
the first brick. I think that's the trick. If you live in a place that
has
frost heave, all bets are off. A lot of it is doing it right the first
time.

Up North we use crushed rock as the setting bed and use a plate
compactor to consolidate the substrate, then lay a thin layer of sand
for setting the pavers.

In this area of the north, we do the same thing, except we skip the thin
layer of sand because the ants insist on mining it from under the bricks and
dumping it on the top. Instead we use limestone screenings, the fine dust
and grit that results when they sift it out of washed crushed limestone. It
doesn't stop the ants but deters their activity because the screenings pack
solid and set into a soft "concrete" layer that is hard to dig into.