Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Roof leak problem with pics

On Aug 18, 12:04*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Aug 18, 10:40*am, ransley wrote:

On Aug 18, 9:17*am, Mikepier wrote:

Last week we had 2 thunderstorms in the afternoon *2 days in a row. On
each day there were 2 seperate roof leaks in 2 different locations. I
never had leaks before so this was kind of a surprise.
I went into the attic immediately each time and I noticed where the
leak was coming from. Fortunately I have wood slats and not plywood,
so the leak could not have traveled as far.
I narrowed it down to where 2 roofs meet ( there is a section on each
side of the house).
I put captions on the pics. I could not find any holes or anything
that caught my eye. One thing that did was that the gutter was pitched
up to a point that it pushes up the shingle at the edge, causing water
to pool on the shingle. So I lowered it down and ran a hose for a good
5 minutes and did not notice any leaks. I hope this was the problem.
These were torrential downpours so maybe this was "the perfect storm"
and just a fluke.
*My question is is it ok for the gutter to pitch toward the roof so
the shingles are pitched more downward.Also is it worth it for me to
call a roofer or are there no guarantees he will find the leak.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/RoofingProblem

I see caulk that is probably there because of leaks, there should be a
metal valley instead of just shingles up the valley.- Hide quoted text -

There is flashing under the caulk. Hard to tell in the pics but at the
end of the valley underneath there is flashing.

The caulk just gets in the way of the water flow - it's more likely to
cause a leak than stop one. If the valley didn't leak, there wouldn't
be caulk.