Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Roof leak problem with pics

Mikepier wrote:
... One thing that did was that the gutter was pitched
up to a point that it pushes up the shingle at the edge, causing water
to pool on the shingle. So I lowered it down and ran a hose for a good
5 minutes and did not notice any leaks. I hope this was the problem.
These were torrential downpours so maybe this was "the perfect storm"
and just a fluke.
My question is is it ok for the gutter to pitch toward the roof so
the shingles are pitched more downward.Also is it worth it for me to
call a roofer or are there no guarantees he will find the leak.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/RoofingProblem

I see caulk that is probably there because of leaks, there should be a
metal valley instead of just shingles up the valley.

There is flashing under the caulk. Hard to tell in the pics but at the
end of the valley underneath there is flashing.

Besides that indication there's been a problem somebody has tried to
cover up...

1) The gutter shouldn't be dumping out onto the roof at such a close
distance and especially w/ such a low pitch. When it really rains hard
a virtual river will be coming out of that end gutter and running back
under the shingles of the projecting roof.

Ideally that gutter end should be closed and a down spout removing it
from the roof; failing that it needs to at a minimum have a diverter to
direct it away in a downward instead of upward direction. Cutting it
back several inches in doing that would also help.

2) A garden hose full blast is nothing in volume as compared to the
volume during even a moderate rain, what more a downpour. Your "test"
result isn't of much comfort you've solved the problem. Next hard rain
will probably find the same unless some corrective action is taken.