Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Electral

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 03:55:23 GMT,
(emgrene) wrote:

emgrene had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...al-325490-.htm :

I don't have a volt meter and live in a small town, but will get one. I am
guessing now, that it could very well be the switch in the breaker box
that may be at fault. It just seems funny there is still juice running
through with the switch, on or off, but I guess there would be, but no
current at the light on or off. Thanks I will get a meter and check back,
if I am not able to fix the problem.I believe men are better at this
electral than wemon, but I am learning, Thanks for all your help.
-------------------------------------
emgrene wrote:

The test lamp you have should work. With the switch off, take the
tester and test one leg of the switch to the ground wire in the box.

The terminal at the "on" side of the switch will glow bright red.
Then take the tester and test the terminal at the "off" side of the
switch. It should not glow. Then turn the switch on. If everything
is correct at the switch, the tester should glow at both terminals.
Putting the tester on both leads at once might give you a slight glow.
This would seem to you as if the "juice" were barely there.

If the switch checks out, you need to test the fixture with the switch
in the "on" position.