Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default Roof leak problem with pics

Last week we had 2 thunderstorms in the afternoon 2 days in a row. On
each day there were 2 seperate roof leaks in 2 different locations. I
never had leaks before so this was kind of a surprise.
I went into the attic immediately each time and I noticed where the
leak was coming from. Fortunately I have wood slats and not plywood,
so the leak could not have traveled as far.
I narrowed it down to where 2 roofs meet ( there is a section on each
side of the house).
I put captions on the pics. I could not find any holes or anything
that caught my eye. One thing that did was that the gutter was pitched
up to a point that it pushes up the shingle at the edge, causing water
to pool on the shingle. So I lowered it down and ran a hose for a good
5 minutes and did not notice any leaks. I hope this was the problem.
These were torrential downpours so maybe this was "the perfect storm"
and just a fluke.
My question is is it ok for the gutter to pitch toward the roof so
the shingles are pitched more downward.Also is it worth it for me to
call a roofer or are there no guarantees he will find the leak.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/RoofingProblem