Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Missing tiles in shower

On Aug 17, 10:35*pm, Mash wrote:
We've been in our new house for about a month now...a couple of weeks
ago we were removing the old shower doors and eight or so of the
shower tiles came off of the wall (the wall opposite the shower head).

They've been off for two weeks or so. Is this something I need to
replace ASAP? Could it cause mold or damage to the wall etc...?

We definitely want to do the bathroom over but most likely it won't
happen for a couple of years. Should I just go and buy some similarly
colored tiles and put them up in place of the missing tiles? The eight
tiles that came off are all right next to/on top of each other.

This will be our first tiling job, so any advice on replacing those
tiles is appreciated.

Thanks

If the wall board where the tiles are missing from has been getting
wet, you could be redoing the bathroom sooner than you think.

If the wallboard has been getting wet, then the walboard behind the
rest of the tiles may be wet also and may not be able to support the
weight of the tile much longer.

When I first moved in we had plans to redo the bathroom "eventually"
but soon realized that due to bad grout joints, the wall board had
basically turned to mush behind the tiles and you could flex the wall
by pushing on it. It looked fine, but had no strength at all.

At a minimum, duct tape a piece of plastic, like from a garbage bag,
over the exposed wallboard ASAP.