Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Missing tiles in shower

We've been in our new house for about a month now...a couple of weeks
ago we were removing the old shower doors and eight or so of the
shower tiles came off of the wall (the wall opposite the shower head).

They've been off for two weeks or so. Is this something I need to
replace ASAP? Could it cause mold or damage to the wall etc...?

We definitely want to do the bathroom over but most likely it won't
happen for a couple of years. Should I just go and buy some similarly
colored tiles and put them up in place of the missing tiles? The eight
tiles that came off are all right next to/on top of each other.

This will be our first tiling job, so any advice on replacing those
tiles is appreciated.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2008 7:35 PM Mash spake thus:

We've been in our new house for about a month now...a couple of weeks
ago we were removing the old shower doors and eight or so of the
shower tiles came off of the wall (the wall opposite the shower head).

They've been off for two weeks or so. Is this something I need to
replace ASAP? Could it cause mold or damage to the wall etc...?

We definitely want to do the bathroom over but most likely it won't
happen for a couple of years. Should I just go and buy some similarly
colored tiles and put them up in place of the missing tiles? The eight
tiles that came off are all right next to/on top of each other.

This will be our first tiling job, so any advice on replacing those
tiles is appreciated.

Yes, you ought to replace them ASAP. Since you're planning on redoing it
anyhow, it won't much matter if you don't do a perfect job. Replacing
tiles is pretty easy, and you might find it fun. If the missing tiles
were all in the "field", you won't even have to cut any tiles.

Tips: Clean the wall thoroughly of old thinset or mortar. Use standard
thinset (latex modified) to stick the new tiles on. Wait until set, then
grout. Wait until grout cures, then seal the grout. That's it.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 10:42�pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

� will bomb the cities of Vietnam, defoliate the jungles, herd the
� population into concentration camps and turn the country into a
� wasteland.' But Lyndon Johnson said: 'No! No! No! Don't you dare do
� that. Let ME do it.'"

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".

untill you replace tiles and grout tape plastic securely over the area
or water will damage the surface tile is glued to.

fix IMMEDIATELY!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 10:35*pm, Mash wrote:
We've been in our new house for about a month now...a couple of weeks
ago we were removing the old shower doors and eight or so of the
shower tiles came off of the wall (the wall opposite the shower head).

They've been off for two weeks or so. Is this something I need to
replace ASAP? Could it cause mold or damage to the wall etc...?

We definitely want to do the bathroom over but most likely it won't
happen for a couple of years. Should I just go and buy some similarly
colored tiles and put them up in place of the missing tiles? The eight
tiles that came off are all right next to/on top of each other.

This will be our first tiling job, so any advice on replacing those
tiles is appreciated.

Thanks

If the wall board where the tiles are missing from has been getting
wet, you could be redoing the bathroom sooner than you think.

If the wallboard has been getting wet, then the walboard behind the
rest of the tiles may be wet also and may not be able to support the
weight of the tile much longer.

When I first moved in we had plans to redo the bathroom "eventually"
but soon realized that due to bad grout joints, the wall board had
basically turned to mush behind the tiles and you could flex the wall
by pushing on it. It looked fine, but had no strength at all.

At a minimum, duct tape a piece of plastic, like from a garbage bag,
over the exposed wallboard ASAP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank for the replies. This morning I duct taped a piece of plastic
over the space. I'll go out and get some cheap replacement tiles and
put them up. DerbyDad I think you might be right, we will probably be
redoing the bathroom sooner than we think. Even before this hole the
tiles didn't seem to be holding well....in fact even on the bathroom
floor if your feet are sticky some of the tiles will come up when you
step on them...fixer-uppers are fun aren't they

And you're right David, I will not have to cut any tiles, which makes
it much easier

Thanks