Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Electral

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:01:42 GMT,
(emgrene) wrote:

emgrene had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...al-325490-.htm :

The way I tested it is a tester with the two probes and the small light. I
know very little about electral but felt like if it was just a switch I
could do that. But it appears it is more than that because I changed the

It's not MORE than that. It's other than that. The odds are near zero
that your switch was bad. I always save all the parts I replace until
a repair is finished. You should save your switch. You can use it
somewhere else.

Did you connect the tester between the ground and one wire of the
switch, and then connect the tester between the ground and the other
wire? If you had done that, you would have probably seen that when
the switch was ON, the light was the same in both places. That would
have indicated that the swtich was ON when it was suppposed to be ON.

If you did the same tests with the switch OFF, you probalby would have
gotten different results. Getting different results would have been
conclusive proof that the switch was good. But everything is so
much easier with a meter, that you shoudl buy a meter.

If you're at RS, also buy a bag of 10 test leads, the wires with
alligator clips at both ends. You can use one of them on your black
lead so that you can clip the other end to a ground (or whereever else
it might need to be in different circumstances). That will free up
one hand and greatly benefit you. It will even enable you to do
measurements while standing on a ladder.

The meter and the jumper wires will be under 25 dollars and will be
invaluable in fixing your house that costs 10's of thousands.

switch and it didn't change, The light is very bright when testing other
outlets.

Although I referred to induced voltages in my other post, iirc the
stray induced voltages under 25 volts that people worry about here as
being confusing are not enough to light a neon test light. What do
others say? (500 volts AC are enough to light a neon light, even
when the probes aren't touching anything.)

Is there any chance his test light is not neon? OP do you know?
Inside the bulb, is there a short thick (thicker than a pencil lead))
silver colored rod? If so, that's a neon light.

-------------------------------------
emgrene wrote:

I have a wall switch ths when tested shows low current flowing. I
changes
out the switch but it has low current flowing and the overhead light
will
not light. I removed the overhead fixture and tested it. There is no
current flowing through to it. Can you tell me what the problem is?

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/
Web
and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup -
alt.home.repair - 307622 messages
and counting!