Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY FAQ & Wiki

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 14:55:11 GMT, Phil Addison wrote:

I just looked too, and its a mess!! 380 odd articles. A good number have
been allocated to categories, but hardly in a hierarchical way. There
are also a number of redundant/empty or near duplicate pages, eg Thermal
Store, Thermal Stores, Thermal store. Also DHW and Domestic Hot Water.

Yerk I haven't looked that closely, those pages need merging and the
redundant ones deleting, yes pages can be deleted but perhaps not a normal
user access level.

Dave L, can we nest your templates inside each other?

I think a template can call another, I've not tried. However I'd sort of
try an avoid that as it could easily make maintenance difficult. Lets
start with just the top level categories and if it's felt that
sub-categories would be useful they can be added later. Remember any
category pages shows the sub-categories of that page.

Hopefully sub-sub-categories.

I'm also wary of getting to deep with levels. A sort of rule of thumb of
when a sub-category might be required would be if the article list section
of a category page could not be shown completely. People don't scroll
pages unless they really have to.

See my doc
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/beta/FAQ_Pr...tents_List.doc. I'll
spend some more time on the 'shoehorning' process - may have something
to show tonight, if not in a couple of days.

I'm happy to take a hierachy and produce a wiki template from it. Let me
know when it has stabilised. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.