Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmeehan@columbus.rr.com is offline

Default Hot water not available when very cold

On Aug 17, 4:02*am, wrote:
Hi All,
* * * * I have a on-demand gas hot water service and have found that
when its quite cold in the mornings or late at night, i cant get any
hot water. If i wait until it warms up a little, hot water flows
through fine.

I have looked at the unit, and it is successfully sparking when hot
water is requested, but the flame never lights - my guess (and it is a
wild guess) is that the thin gas pipe for lighting the flame has got
blocked by some moisture which has frozen when its cold and clears
when it warms up a little.

Anyhoo - anyone got any suggestions on what i can do to allieviate
this issue? As you can imagine, not having a shower before work isnt
too nice.

Thanks for any help.

I am going to guess (and it is only a guess) there is a flame
sensor and when it is too cold, it can't sense the flame.

That said, if the area where the unit is located is going below
freezing, I think you have a problem. Standing water in the pipes are
going to freeze and may cause you some very expensive problems. Maybe
you want to provide some heat to that area.