Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot water not available when very cold

Hi All,
I have a on-demand gas hot water service and have found that
when its quite cold in the mornings or late at night, i cant get any
hot water. If i wait until it warms up a little, hot water flows
through fine.

I have looked at the unit, and it is successfully sparking when hot
water is requested, but the flame never lights - my guess (and it is a
wild guess) is that the thin gas pipe for lighting the flame has got
blocked by some moisture which has frozen when its cold and clears
when it warms up a little.

Anyhoo - anyone got any suggestions on what i can do to allieviate
this issue? As you can imagine, not having a shower before work isnt
too nice.

Thanks for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 4:02�am, wrote:
Hi All,
� � � � I have a on-demand gas hot water service and have found that
when its quite cold in the mornings or late at night, i cant get any
hot water. If i wait until it warms up a little, hot water flows
through fine.

I have looked at the unit, and it is successfully sparking when hot
water is requested, but the flame never lights - my guess (and it is a
wild guess) is that the thin gas pipe for lighting the flame has got
blocked by some moisture which has frozen when its cold and clears
when it warms up a little.

Anyhoo - anyone got any suggestions on what i can do to allieviate
this issue? As you can imagine, not having a shower before work isnt
too nice.

Thanks for any help.

get pro help, newer tankless models are highly complex, and require
experienced sevice personell, plus parts can be expensive.

have you checked the service manual?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi All,
I have a on-demand gas hot water service

for general info how long have you lived with your tankless? in
general how satisfied are you when its working ok?

inquiring minds want to know, many here are attracted to saving
energy, but wonder what the downsides are?

thanks very much. which model do you own?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 8:46*am, Blattus Slafaly
Hi All,
* * * * I have a on-demand gas hot water service and have found that
when its quite cold in the mornings or late at night, i cant get any
hot water. If i wait until it warms up a little, hot water flows
through fine.

I have looked at the unit, and it is successfully sparking when hot
water is requested, but the flame never lights - my guess (and it is a
wild guess) is that the thin gas pipe for lighting the flame has got
blocked by some moisture which has frozen when its cold and clears
when it warms up a little.

Anyhoo - anyone got any suggestions on what i can do to allieviate
this issue? As you can imagine, not having a shower before work isnt
too nice.

Thanks for any help.

I myself just installed point of use small electric demand tankless
water heaters. They work great. Shut off my oil burner and now that
doesn't come on several times a day even when I don't use hot water.
I have one for the bathroom for the sink and shower and one for the
kitchen sink. I've also learned to question weather I really need to use
hot water when I use water. Brushing my teeth? No. Rinsing my dishes?
no. You'd be surprised how much you DON'T need hot water. I had a house
one time that send hot water to the toilet to keep it from sweating. How
wasteful is that?

--
Blattus Slafaly *? 3 * * *7/8

How about specifics: model, size, and so on?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 4:02*am, wrote:
Hi All,
* * * * I have a on-demand gas hot water service and have found that
when its quite cold in the mornings or late at night, i cant get any
hot water. If i wait until it warms up a little, hot water flows
through fine.

I have looked at the unit, and it is successfully sparking when hot
water is requested, but the flame never lights - my guess (and it is a
wild guess) is that the thin gas pipe for lighting the flame has got
blocked by some moisture which has frozen when its cold and clears
when it warms up a little.

Anyhoo - anyone got any suggestions on what i can do to allieviate
this issue? As you can imagine, not having a shower before work isnt
too nice.

Thanks for any help.

I am going to guess (and it is only a guess) there is a flame
sensor and when it is too cold, it can't sense the flame.

That said, if the area where the unit is located is going below
freezing, I think you have a problem. Standing water in the pipes are
going to freeze and may cause you some very expensive problems. Maybe
you want to provide some heat to that area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Blattus Slafaly �? 3 � � �7/8- Hide quoted text -

most tankless electric are big disappointment, espically for showers.

so what models did you install and how many amps of power used?

I always use hot water to rinse dishes, to remove all traces of
detergent, which might make you ill
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:06:17 -0500, nick hull wrote:

So to be free, I have to own a gun?

If I'm free, can't I decide for myself whether to own a gun?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:06:17 -0500, nick hull wrote:

So to be free, I have to own a gun?

If I'm free, can't I decide for myself whether to own a gun?

If you are free, you can decide. If you are not allowed to decide for
yourself, you are a slave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 7:46*am, Blattus Slafaly
[...]

What unit did you install, what does it use in current.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 3:02*am, wrote:
Hi All,
* * * * I have a on-demand gas hot water service and have found that
when its quite cold in the mornings or late at night, i cant get any
hot water. If i wait until it warms up a little, hot water flows
through fine.

I have looked at the unit, and it is successfully sparking when hot
water is requested, but the flame never lights - my guess (and it is a
wild guess) is that the thin gas pipe for lighting the flame has got
blocked by some moisture which has frozen when its cold and clears
when it warms up a little.

Anyhoo - anyone got any suggestions on what i can do to allieviate
this issue? As you can imagine, not having a shower before work isnt
too nice.

Thanks for any help.

I will guess its the gas valve sticking, does the gas line have a dirt
leg to keep debris out. Try tapping the valve next time it wont light.
You say you hear spark are you sure it lights a pilot and not just the
burner. Maybe a weak ignitor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I will guess its the gas valve sticking, does the gas line have a dirt
leg to keep debris out. Try tapping the valve next time it wont light.
You say you hear spark are you sure it lights a pilot and not just the
burner. Maybe a weak ignitor

Hey Ransley,
no it doesnt have dirt leg - but thats something
i didnt think of, so i'll give that a go.

As far as the spark - i dont just hear it, i see it, and its quite
strong, so i dont believe its that. But it looks fairly easy to
replace, so will try that just incase.

And you are correct, it does light the burner directly - sorry for the
confusion.