Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison[_2_] Phil Addison[_2_] is offline

Default DIY FAQ & Wiki

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:55:37 -0700 (PDT), in uk.d-i-y
wrote:

On Aug 17, 1:05*am, Phil Addison wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:55:01 +0100 (BST), in uk.d-i-y "Dave Liquorice"

wrote:
It's not a page but a template to be included in any page. I'd suggest on
the somewhere on "main page" and at the top of each main category page.

That's better than I hoped for, will make it much more user friendly.

Phil

It sounds great, but for 1 big but. Having looked at the categories we
have on the wiki I dont see any way they can be shoehorned into a
heirarchical system without a great deal of duplication and including
things of questionable relevance.

I just looked too, and its a mess!! 380 odd articles. A good number have
been allocated to categories, but hardly in a hierarchical way. There
are also a number of redundant/empty or near duplicate pages, eg Thermal
Store, Thermal Stores, Thermal store. Also DHW and Domestic Hot Water. I
suppose it IS possible to delete the surplus ones?

So that leaves 2 options for this heirarchical approach:
1. Keep it simple, but it then leaves half of the articles and
(sub)cats out
2. Make it comprehensive, and you get a thing too big to be on
anything but its own page.

Doesn't matter if the contents list is big. I envisage it will need
scrolling down to see it all. I'm hoping sub-sub-categories can be
implemented somehow.

Dave L, can we nest your templates inside each other?

The other option of course is to do both. No reason why not.

Maybe you 2 could help with heiraching the present categories, as I
looked and couldnt see how to do it.

OK, I have spent a couple of hours looking at it. If you look at the doc
I referenced previously, and you are MS Word compatible, you can view it
in Outline Mode (sorry I should have mentioned that earlier - it makes
more sense when you set it to view just the top 2-3 levels).

I have copied the all cats list into one doc, and it easy (but tedious)
to drag each from there into the correct place in the outline doc, and
easy to re-organise the hierarchy as you go.

IF nested templates are possible its then a trivial (but tedious) job to
convert the word doc hierarchy to a wiki page. If not, I'm not sure what
to do, maybe resort to html?

Here's what we have on the wiki
today:

Access (3 links)
Adhesives (10 links)
Appliances (21 links)
Bad Ideas (13 links)
Basics (16 links)
Bathrooms (14 links)
Batteries (9 links)
Building (24 links)
Car (1 links)
Cleaning (12 links)
Clothing (1 links)
Computing (7 links)
Construction (18 links)
Cooling (6 links)
Damp (6 links)
Decorating (7 links)
Domestic Hot Water (18 links)
Doors (5 links)
Electrical (73 links)
Energy Efficiency (26 links)
Fault Finding (18 links)
Fire (9 links)
Fixings (16 links)
Floors (15 links)
Furniture (8 links)
Garbage (3 links)
Glazing (8 links)
Glossary (3 links)
Hard Surfacing (5 links)
Heating (34 links)
Humour (7 links)
Insulation (4 links)
Kitchens (10 links)
Laundry (4 links)
Legal (8 links)
Lighting (24 links)
Links Pages (53 links)
Masonry (1 links)
Materials (15 links)
Metal (16 links)
Mortar (12 links)
Noise (10 links)
Paint (12 links)
Paths (1 links)
Period Property (13 links)
Pests (3 links)
Plastering (4 links)
Plastics (16 links)
Plumbing (39 links)
Projects (13 links)
Public domain images (128 links)
Repair (7 links)
Review (5 links)
Roofing (5 links)
Safety (12 links)
Save Money (12 links)
Security (5 links)
Sheds (2 links)
Shelving Units (2 links)
Software (2 links)
Solar (5 links)
Stone (1 links)
Storage (9 links)
Substandard (1 links)
Supplies (4 links)
TV (8 links)
Tiling (1 links)
Tools (44 links)
Wiki (4 links)
Windows (8 links)
Wood (51 lin

Now I can spot some immediate high level ones, such as:

Construction or building
Wood
Decorating
Supplies
Tools
Electrical
Storage
Roofing
Projects
Plumbing
Heating
Glazing
Fault finding or repair
Electrical
Hot water
Damp
Cleaning
Appliances

My doc starts at an even higher level

But how would you distribute the other cats as children of the above
parent groups?

Hopefully sub-sub-categories.

And what would you do with the cats that dont really
clearly fit anywhere in particular on a heirarchy?

That means your top level hierarchy is inadequate.

See my doc
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/beta/FAQ_Pr...tents_List.doc. I'll
spend some more time on the 'shoehorning' process - may have something
to show tonight, if not in a couple of days.

Phil