Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY FAQ & Wiki

On Aug 17, 1:05*am, Phil Addison wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:55:01 +0100 (BST), in uk.d-i-y "Dave Liquorice"

wrote:
It's not a page but a template to be included in any page. I'd suggest on
the somewhere on "main page" and at the top of each main category page.

That's better than I hoped for, will make it much more user friendly.

Phil

It sounds great, but for 1 big but. Having looked at the categories we
have on the wiki I dont see any way they can be shoehorned into a
heirarchical system without a great deal of duplication and including
things of questionable relevance.

So that leaves 2 options for this heirarchical approach:
1. Keep it simple, but it then leaves half of the articles and
(sub)cats out
2. Make it comprehensive, and you get a thing too big to be on
anything but its own page.

The other option of course is to do both. No reason why not.

Maybe you 2 could help with heiraching the present categories, as I
looked and couldnt see how to do it. Here's what we have on the wiki
today:

Access (3 links)
Adhesives (10 links)
Appliances (21 links)
Bad Ideas (13 links)
Basics (16 links)
Bathrooms (14 links)
Batteries (9 links)
Building (24 links)
Car (1 links)
Cleaning (12 links)
Clothing (1 links)
Computing (7 links)
Construction (18 links)
Cooling (6 links)
Damp (6 links)
Decorating (7 links)
Domestic Hot Water (18 links)
Doors (5 links)
Electrical (73 links)
Energy Efficiency (26 links)
Fault Finding (18 links)
Fire (9 links)
Fixings (16 links)
Floors (15 links)
Furniture (8 links)
Garbage (3 links)
Glazing (8 links)
Glossary (3 links)
Hard Surfacing (5 links)
Heating (34 links)
Humour (7 links)
Insulation (4 links)
Kitchens (10 links)
Laundry (4 links)
Legal (8 links)
Lighting (24 links)
Links Pages (53 links)
Masonry (1 links)
Materials (15 links)
Metal (16 links)
Mortar (12 links)
Noise (10 links)
Paint (12 links)
Paths (1 links)
Period Property (13 links)
Pests (3 links)
Plastering (4 links)
Plastics (16 links)
Plumbing (39 links)
Projects (13 links)
Public domain images (128 links)
Repair (7 links)
Review (5 links)
Roofing (5 links)
Safety (12 links)
Save Money (12 links)
Security (5 links)
Sheds (2 links)
Shelving Units (2 links)
Software (2 links)
Solar (5 links)
Stone (1 links)
Storage (9 links)
Substandard (1 links)
Supplies (4 links)
TV (8 links)
Tiling (1 links)
Tools (44 links)
Wiki (4 links)
Windows (8 links)
Wood (51 lin

Now I can spot some immediate high level ones, such as:

Construction or building
Wood
Decorating
Supplies
Tools
Electrical
Storage
Roofing
Projects
Plumbing
Heating
Glazing
Fault finding or repair
Electrical
Hot water
Damp
Cleaning
Appliances

But how would you distribute the other cats as children of the above
parent groups? And what would you do with the cats that dont really
clearly fit anywhere in particular on a heirarchy?

NT