Posted to alt.home.repair

Default MagicJack question

On Sat 16 Aug 2008 08:56:23a, George told us...

wrote:
ransley's wrong again:

Computers consume 100 to maybe 500w, think about that...

Think about the $75 2-watt Norhtec 486 clone.

Nick

Unfortunately Magicjack needs an energy wasting full blown computer with
a GUI OS running their proprietary client just to use it. When the
class of machine you mentioned (or less) is all it takes to implement an
ATA to support VoIP. We have VoIP in the office and the two line ATA is
just an efficient tiny box with a dedicated processor.

My desktop PC at home runs 24/7 regardless, primarily for business reasons.
If I don't happen to turn of the monitor when I go to bed, it powers off
after a specified period of time, as do the hard drives. While I don't
have one (yet), I see absolutely no reason why Magicjack would add
significantly to the overhead. If I had a MJ and tested successfully
running a fax through it, I could also cancel my land line. We don't use
it for phone purposes anyway. We either use our Blackberries or cell
phones for all phone calls.

I really don't see what all the fuss is all about.

Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day
2wks 1dys 11hrs 54mins
I am NOT stubborn. I am merely correct.