Posted to alt.home.repair
Leroy[_4_] Leroy[_4_] is offline

Default MagicJack question

George wrote:
Leroy wrote:
George wrote:

Unfortunately Magicjack needs an energy wasting full blown computer with
a GUI OS running their proprietary client just to use it.

Nope. Use an older XP laptop with a busted screen and/or busted
keyboard. Plug in a monitor and keyboard and install MagicJack.
Unplug the monitor/keyboard, plug a telephone into the MJ
and you've got an ATA (analog telephone adaptor). Uses around
20 watts of AC. About a dime a day.

Any likely you know that laptops don't do well in 24x7 service. Pity you
even need to haybale something like this.

I was showing that MJ doesn't require a 'full blown', power hungry
computer nor a GUI. I really don't consider a laptop on an out of
the way shelf 'haybaling'. And thank you for the pity, but I really don't
need or appreciate it.

The MJ and its services are fully accessible from a standard phone, no
need to use the MJ GUI/window on a computer screen. Screen
and keyboard not required.

We have VoIP in the office and the two line ATA is
just an efficient tiny box with a dedicated processor.

And I strongly suspect that you're paying a heck of a lot more
than $20 per year to rent the ATA and the two line service, yes?

Sure, but it needs to work and we needed to be able to port our existing
numbers which is impossible with magicjack. Also when magicjack goes out
of business it would likely be pretty involved to get our now unworking
numbers released for porting.

I have not and would not recommend MJ for business use. For that
matter I'd not recommend any voip for business service without an
automatic landline switchover. But, for personal, residential use,
it's been more than adequate for me.