Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait Tom Wait is offline

Default HF HVLP turbine-gun kit

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
. ..
I just got the $80 HF turbine/gun kit (not conversion gun):
( link shows it as $90, but catalog #44677-2bpa is $80.)

I took some 35 year old paint (from back when they made the good stuff)
and started playing with the sprayer. Thinned the paint twice & it was
still too thick (paint drops too big). The 3rd time worked very nicely.
It measured 9 seconds with the supplied viscosity cup.

Desperate to paint *something*, I took a sanding-belt holder that I had
made & gave it a shot. Very satisfying! The holder is 6 or 7
compartments, each 3" wide & 4" deep. I.e., not just big flat surfaces.
The sprayer did a very nice job. With negligible spraying experience
on my part & my first use of the sprayer.

Cleanup was easy - they recommend that you do not disassemble the gun.
Just spray solvent through it.

'Course the Operating Instructions left a lot out. Like:
- there are 3 tip & needle sets (1.0, 1.5, & 1.8 mm diam). I assume
that their use depends upon the viscosity of the paint to be used. But
paint can be thinned to any viscosity, so there is some uncertainty here.
- there is only one operational adjustment: paint volume. I used it
barely open & it was fine for me, but what are the criteria for setting

it?
- the HF listing says that it can spray a circular pattern, but the
manual doesn't say how. I suspect that it doesn't do circular.

Anybody else own this "kit"? Any help with my questions?

Thanks,
Bob

--
Nota for President

My HVLP conversion gun will shoot a circular pattern by turning the air
nozzle to 45 degrees. Air nozzles horizontal for a vertical fan, nozzles
vertical for a horizontal fan and at 45 degrees the air is shut off for a
circular pattern. Mine is an Apollo brand and cost way more than the HF
unit. It has an air adjustment and paint volume adjustment. Different paints
require different needle/tip sets. The high solids paints like hi-build
primer need the larger ones.
Tom