Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY FAQ & Wiki

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 22:07:01 GMT, Phil Addison wrote:

If I'm new to the wiki, and I've been given a link from uk.diy to a
wiki article, I want to read the article.

Obviously!!

And if the link doesn't take them to that article it is the fault of the
person providing the link not the wiki.

No, the main page needs to remain as an introduction as Dave L
describes, but it needs a much clearer link to the meat. At the moment,
the location of the meat is concealed in the last point "5 See Also".

Agreed. I don't know the structure of the categories/sub-categories within
the UK DIY wiki well enough to know which ones would make sensible choices
for the top level ones to be included into a template to display them in a
logical manner, rather than the huge single list of the special page.

Here is some sample code for a wiki template:

p'''All Categories available:'''/p
{|cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" border="0"
|-
|[[:Category:Electrical|Electrical]]||Things that bangen and sparken
|-
|[[:Category:Plumbing|Plumbing]]||Splish, splash, splosh!
|-
|[[:Category:Building|Building]]||Crash, bang, wallop
|-
|[[:Category:Tools|Tools]]||Ouch! My fingers
|-
|[[:Category:Heating|Heating]]||Ah, nice and warm...
|}
/p

This is easy to change and maintain, bear in mind the top level categories
aren't going to change much, if at all. Sub-categories could be entered
under the relevant main category and made to look like sub-categories with
a bit of simple formating, say by using ul.../ul and fontsize
tweaking.

--
Cheers
Dave.