Posted to alt.home.repair
Leroy[_4_] Leroy[_4_] is offline

Default MagicJack question

ransley wrote:

I wonder if what you save in your phone bill isnt negated by computer
electric consumption, 100w, 24 x 7 x 30 = $15 a month for me.
Computers consume 100 to maybe 500w, think about that, my landline is
cheaper I figured and my computer will last longer. Standby mode would
help alot.

I suspect you meant 100w x 24 x 30 to get the $15 per month, around
20 cents per KWH?

actually, typical computers 'idling' along (not in standby) draw somewhat
less than most folks think. With the Monitor (40 watts for LCD and
around 85 watts for CRT) powered down, laptops use around 35
watts and desktops around 60 watts). add another 15 watts for
router and modem. These are broad swags drawn from:

http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provi...owerusage.html

This would drop the idle computer's power noticably below 100 watts,
especially laptops, when used for 24/7 MagicJack.

What does your landline cost monthly with all fees and taxes? Mine
from ATT was $33/mo with *no* options and *no* long distance.
$7 to $15 per month for MJ power is much cheaper. Not to
mention a good set of call options and free domestic MJ LD..
Around $30 per month saved would buy a new PC in fairly
short order.

My power consumption is much lower about 12 hours, 5 days
a week. (I let MJ VM catch calls when powered off). I'm
away from this location two days a week. I also use my PC,
with a FM/TV/Graphics card for sound, cable, and ota tv,
so I'm not burning power on a TV/Stereo.

I'm looking forward to the MJ port to linux, then we can do a
flash drive based MJ 'ATA' on a cheap laptop with a busted
display. A poorboy MJ thin-client.

I noticed today that Intel has launched a series of MotherBoards
That can 'wake' on voip and lan. Looks promising.