Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default T1-11 vs fiber cement lap siding

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"SteveBell" wrote:

terry wrote:

On Aug 14, 6:20 pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article
,
Pat Barber wrote:

http://www.jameshardie.com/

Thanks for the information.
.
Sounded good to us until we asked a neighbour.
Some problems here; damp climate. Neighbour's 8 inch Hardy plank
lap siding delaminated in places.
However while there is/was a possibility that my neighbours batch
was improperly stored (out in the open?) before he bought and
installed it, the manufacturer's rep. gave him a refund and
allowance for labour for him to replace it on both ends of his A
frame summer cabin. Wooden 8 inch pine on the other sides of his
cabin is OK.

I've installed a ton of HardiePlank for Habitat for Humanity. Some
issues:

Thanks. But I am definitely not gonna install it myself (although
I now know what to look for when they ARE installing it). What I want
to know is how is it better than T1-11 to justify the extra $14,000
(nearly double) that it would cost. Do I have to paint it less? Any
energy savings due to better insulating (or energy costs). Why is it
(or not) worth the extra money?

Ahhh, now I understand. All you have to do is hit me with a stick. :-)

* Since fiber-cement products (FCPs) are made of concrete and
fiberglass, it won't rot and bugs won't eat it. T1-11 is wood, and
usually cheap wood.

* FCPs are completely waterproof. T1-11 is also waterproof if
installed properly, but if the coating fails, there goes the
waterproofing.

* FCPs come primed and take paint well. T1-11 is bare wood, and you
have to prep and maintain it.

* The appearance is completely uniform. T1-11 has voids that show in
the grooves. You have to fill these before painting.

The major advantages, to me, are the rot resistance and uniformity.

Part of the price difference might be in labor. 4x8 panels go up faster
than lap siding. You can also buy FCPs in 4x8 panels, giving a similar
look to T1-11.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement