Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Junction boxes and "accessibility"

In article m, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Apropos another thread now running in Theater III ("Electrical Code
question:"accessibility"), let me pose this general question to all you
experts out the

Does the code (NEC) require that all junction boxes inside walls be
accessible? Or only certain ones? And why?

Yes, it does. The reason should be obvious: so that the junctions inside the
box can be reached.

Let me first say that I have put junction boxes in walls that were not
accessible. Am I now guilty of a crime because of this?

Technically, yes, you probably are, if the community where you live has
adopted the NEC as an ordinance.

Does this even make sense? Is the general idea that all such boxes be
accessible in case future additions or repairs become necessary?

Exactly.