Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default Phone Problems (Landline)

"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 06:50:39 -0700 (PDT), Thomarse wrote:

On Aug 15, 2:17 pm, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"Thomarse" wrote in message

snip

If it is your house wiring, possible causes are water ingress into the
wiring and damaged cables where you have drilled into a wall and just
nicked
the cable (I did this myself once)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply.

I only have the master socket, into which I plug my phone etc so I
have no internal wiring (except for my sky box)

But what Bob is saying is that you need to remove the bottom half of the
panel and connect into the socket that you reveal. It is possible that
you
_do_ have internal wiring, you just don't know about it. In any case,
again as Bob says, BT will ask you to do this so you might as well do it
now.

I actually had the same problem with old internal wiring we didn't use -
there was some along an outside wall and I cut it and forgot the other end
was still connected. No problem until some time later when rain seeped in
the cut end and gave very similar symptoms.

Have you cut any old cables or drilled any walls recently? Also, as someone
else suggests, check the quality of the incoming BT cable at rub or chafe
points.

BT can do remote testing but the results (which give a distance from a known
point, presumbly using dome form of TDR) are quit often too inaccurate (ir
they say the problem is in your premises when it is on the pole feeding the
house - persevere!